AVB interface auto-power on--please!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
hassj@indiana.edu
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

AVB interface auto-power on--please!

Post by hassj@indiana.edu »

As the owner of 3 MOTU AVB interfaces (Ultralite AVB, 1248), I was so sorry to see the simple on-off power switches of earlier interfaces go away in favor of an electronic switch that needs to be pushed each and every time (and held for a long time). Does MOTU not believe some of its users would like to put their interfaces in a power-staged equipment rack, or closet, or remote installation, or offstage where even the slightest flicker of power would require someone to go restart all their interfaces manually if they purchased the sort of extensive interface network they are hoping we would? I've read some unanswered questions regarding whether MOTU may have programmed in a secret auto-power on setting as they had done with some previous devices. Anybody have any ideas on this or ways to make these things auto-power on following power failures or simply turning on one's studio?
Thanks!
Coach
EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: AVB interface auto-power on--please!

Post by EMRR »

No ideas. I have seen my own set of 16A/Monitor8 come up flawlessly for months, then take a 6 month vacation in which the Monitor8 NEVER booted successfully without toggling the power switch at least twice if not three times, then reverting to flawless boot at power up. Frustrating and mysterious.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Did the recent firmware update have any effect?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Seems unrelated to firmware in my case. Did not start to go squirrelly in coincidence with one, nor fix themselves with another.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing