MicroBook IIc with iPad question - help please!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Steve Steele
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MicroBook IIc with iPad question - help please!

Post by Steve Steele »

I have a question about using an iPad with the MicroBook IIc and Digital Performer.

If I connect my iPad to the MicroBook via the Lightening to USB to Micro B USB connector, then connect the MicroBook to my MacPro via the USB B to USB input, will Digital Performer be able to record the iPad digitally? Or does it not work that way? Do I need to use the headphone output on the iPad to an analog input on the MicroBook to record synths from the iPad into DP?

So, does the micro USB connector on the Microbook only allow one to record into or out of the iPad or both?

I'd like to be able to record the great synths I've got on my iPad directly (digitally) into DP and not use the headphone output of the iPad.

And at the same time I'd like to use the MicroBook as the input interface for my iPad. Which leads to another question I'll have to solve. How can I use the MicroBook as the mic and guitar interface if the Lightening port is already taken up via my MIDI Keyboard controller that's going into the Lightening adapter also? Can't use both at the same time I guess unless I can plug my MIDI controller into the micro USB port and route the MIDI inout into the iPad that way.

Can it do all three of those things?

Thanks!

Steve

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
mikehalloran

Re: MicroBook IIc with iPad question - help please!

Post by mikehalloran »

Should be easy. The Microbook's S/PDIF optical out mirrors the main analog output—apparently you can't change that but, no worries, you don't want to. This will keep you in the digital domain without trying to figure out how to do it with USB (if possible). You may have to buy an optical adapter for the input of your Mac Pro—I paid $2 each at Amazon. Most Macs built 2008 and later need them.

You may or may not have to learn CueMix. It depends if latency is noticeable—might not be.

I use my iPad as a sound generator, either playing bass on the glass or using my Line 6 Mobile Keys into the lightening connector. No S/PDIF or USB in my rig so the headphone out is my only option—and it sounds great. I play it live and record to DP through my iMac analog in or my 828mkII. As there's no extra digital conversion in my setup, latency is not an issue—same as if I was playing a digital keyboard.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Correction: $2.38 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M ... 5857181EGY

You only need one for the Mac's optical in. Some optical cables for Apple have these connectors but the MOTU doesn't use that connector. This lets you use any standard optical cable.

I bought two for my iMac 6 years ago. One is still sitting in its little bag in my desk drawer.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:Correction: $2.38 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M ... 5857181EGY

You only need one for the Mac's optical in. Some optical cables for Apple have these connectors but the MOTU doesn't use that connector. This lets you use any standard optical cable.

I bought two for my iMac 6 years ago. One is still sitting in its little bag in my desk drawer.
Thanks for the idea Mike. That sounds like a really good idea. Just ordered one. I can still use the MicroBook for other things that my 896HD can't do. So for very little money I've got a lot of I/O options by just adding in your method! All of my 896HD convertors were upgraded by Blacklion Audio and I use their word clock so I love tracking with that interface, but one of the main outs died, although I can get it fixed, and it's been a huge pain because not all apps see the analog outputs as available.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your secret. It wouldn't have crossed my mind to use my MacPro's digital-ins because I never have although they're right there in my face. ha!

Steve

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Here's vid on how to do it if your running El Capitan‎
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouoavu55xdw
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.