PCI Hardware Wasted...

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Splinter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: PCI Hardware Wasted...

Post by Splinter »

James,

I don't understand why an apology is childish to you. Maybe you can't admit wrongdoing, but if MOTU can't admit shafting its users by stringing them along literally for years with nothing but cryptic communication offering distant hopes of a solution, then they don't deserve our business. Many companies that are great at service and PR willing accept their mistakes and apologise and build a more loyal, CREDIBLE customer base than companies that screw their customers over. It's called doing good business.

I don't understand what voodoo has become you all that MOTU can do no harm. I thought we all could see the blatant wrongness of this and at least offer our name in protest to being treated like worms by the company that many here have apparently sold their soul to. I guess those who are upset about it have just left the forum. Fair enough.
MacBook Pro Quad 2.4GHz i7 • 10.12 • 16G RAM • DP 9 • MOTU 896HD Hybrid, Apogee Duet, & MOTU Micro Lite MIDI interface • Waves Platinum, Studio Classics Collection, Abbey Road, etc... • Fabfilter Pro-Q2 • Soundtoys FX • IK Amplitube 3, Ampeg, and TRacks 3 • Altiverb 7 • Slate Digital Everything Bundle • Stylus RMX • Komplete 10 • SampleTank 3 • Arturia V Collection • M-Audio Axiom 49
Kurt Cowling
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Perpetual support for old equipment is the financial kiss of death for a technology company.
I understand there's a limit with old equipment. My original 828 lasted until a week ago when a power surge took it out. Thankfully MOTU's audio drivers always worked with it. I replaced it with a MicroBook 2c, so I'm definitely a MOTU fan. However...

Regarding my post... the HDX-SDI is listed on the MOTU web site as a current unit, not old equipment. Yet I would have to back up to Mavericks just to use it. I can't do that. That HDX-SDI is probably the worst hardware purchase I've ever made and it pains me that it involves MOTU.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Splinter wrote:James,

I don't understand why an apology is childish to you. Maybe you can't admit wrongdoing, but if MOTU can't admit shafting its users by stringing them along literally for years with nothing but cryptic communication offering distant hopes of a solution, then they don't deserve our business. Many companies that are great at service and PR willing accept their mistakes and apologise and build a more loyal, CREDIBLE customer base than companies that screw their customers over. It's called doing good business.

I don't understand what voodoo has become you all that MOTU can do no harm. I thought we all could see the blatant wrongness of this and at least offer our name in protest to being treated like worms by the company that many here have apparently sold their soul to. I guess those who are upset about it have just left the forum. Fair enough.
Treated like worms? Really? It's simple. I don't think they have anything to apologize for. And those who are upset about it have left the forum? Wrong again. Nobody is really as agitated about this as you are. Are you up to 10 signatures yet?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I just checked. Nobody has signed it yet. Well, you're free to try to use this forum to get signatures, but I just don't think many people are as worked up about it as you are. You might try Facebook. There's a MOTU DP group there. Maybe you'll have better luck.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Hmmmm....

What part of "Thunderbolt was a moving target till hardware shipped in 2011", "Intel controls the Thunderbolt spec." and is not clear?

MOTU could not have anticipated that their PCIe cards would be incompatible with TB extension boxes. No one saw it coming. The proposed TB spec was to have supported protocols that would have let PCIe audio work in extension cards. Then Intel shipped the chips about a year after they were promised and the firmware compatibility wasn't there.

Every single person who said that MOTU could write drivers was wrong. Those MOTU engineers who told MOTUNation members back channel the same were wrong. Apple engineers who expected Intel to adhere to the early TB specs were wrong, also.

My PCI-324 card sits in my G4 as does a SCSI card. I don't imagine that I'll use either again but they do no harm and one never knows.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:My PCI-324 card sits in my G4 as does a SCSI card. I don't imagine that I'll use either again but they do no harm and one never knows.
My PCI-424 sits in a G5. If I ever get the urge, I can move 16 channels from it to whatever else has two ADAT inputs. You never know.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Ive been a keyboard player and small studio owner for close to 40 years now. Unfortunately this is the nature of the beast. Things move so fast now and everybody is trying to keep up on some level. I have spent a lot of money doing that. The focus has to be the music or final product. There are so many options out there also. If you want you can stay with older equipment and upgrade when you really need to. Again, the nature of the beast and if you choose this , this is what you are up against. Good luck on changing MOTU,s policy. I am curious to see how this plays out.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I am curious to see how this plays out.
Huh? This "played out" between 2011-2013. Stick a fork in it—it's done.

As anyone with ten$ of thousand$ invested in Pro Tools PCI hardware can confirm:

2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Sorry , I meant for the person who made the original post(how it plays out). I moved on a couple of years ago with my original 2408 , sold my PCI e card and bought a Hybrid MKIII. I still have a 2009 Mac but did not want to wait and see if there was a retrofit from MOTU. I knew that was not going to happen
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I get it.

Looking at the petition, at least he can buy a used Mac Pro and it will run all the latest and greatest while keeping his hardware intact. If his G5 used a PCIx-424 card, he'll have to upgrade it to the PCIe version, still available from MOTU and other sources.

I, on the other hand, am world class bent out of shape that MacInTax made my Mac+ obsolete, then my 6200, G3 and G5 in turn. In 2010, I had to buy a new iMac—ok, it does everything better but I was forced into it and it doesn't work with my MOTU PCI hardware either. Outrage! And then Intuit had the utter audacity to name it TurboTax, the same as the Windows version and put it on the same CD! Worse yet, they're in cahoots with the IRS and Congress so that I have to buy a new friggin version every single year! It's a government conspiracy, I tell you and Apple has remained silent on the issue. I demand an apology, at least. Free hardware and software upgrades for life would be adequate compensation, right? It's the least that Apple, Intuit and the IRS could do for me. :banghead:

I'm beyond disgusted. Hell, I'll start a petition of my own. I'm sick of the many thousands of dollars I've spent just so that I can do my taxes easily every single year. And don't get me started on QuickBooks... Let's shame everyone into doing right by me, dammit!

How far do you think I'll get with that, huh? :rofl: