Motu AVB devices for live mixing

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
nick danger
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Motu AVB devices for live mixing

Post by nick danger »

My aging Mackie analog mixer and 828mkII are showing signs that they won't be functioning much longer.

I'm looking to replace both of them, perhaps with one of the MOTU AVB units. What are others' experience is with using AVB units for live sound reinforcement? In particular, I'm considering the Ultralite AVB or 8M in conjunction with my Behringer ADA 8000, fed via ADAT, for additional mic pres. How well would they work in standalone mode as a mixer? How stable is the browser-based interface for controlling it (likely with my iPad 2 and/or iPhone 5s?)

Thanks in advance for any input.
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel core 2 duo, 8 gb ram running 10.11.6; 17" Macbook Pro 8,3, 2.5 GHz Core I7, 16 GB ram running 10.13.6; DP 8.07; 8pre-es; 828mkII; 828mkI; microbook II, Behringer ADA8000, Black Lion Auteur 2-Ch. Pre-Amp
Zvalera

Re: Motu AVB devices for live mixing

Post by Zvalera »

I just bought a motu b16 stage... I'm not sure about it's stability yet; I've only had it a few days... Check motu tv on YouTube for testimonials.

Corrently I'm trying to create a wireless local network and I'm not sure my netgear n300 router supports it.
Snow leopard; DP 6; DP 9.1
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dix »

How well would they work in standalone mode as a mixer? How stable is the browser-based interface for controlling it (likely with my iPad 2 and/or iPhone 5s?)
I don't own an AVB i/o, but I've used them in live situations. The browser interface is stable, but is still evolving. It's very basic. Not a lot of features (yet?). As far as mixing goes, nothing beats a fader to grab especially when things get out of control. It's cumbersome to have to mouse your way through a mix. There's no control surfaces available for AVB i/os yet as far as I know. I did just notice that all the connected AVB i/os will follow a laptop's volume control/muting if you want them to. I haven't tried it yet, but if that works that would reduce the risk of deafening anyone if something goes whacky.

....my last real hold out of mixerless mixing is safety. Who hasn't been in situation in a home or live when a sudden blast of loud unanticipated sound explodes out of the monitors. A computer gui or WiFi connected app can easily go nonfunctional. A master fader will not.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My aging Mackie analog mixer ...
Unless something is bent or broken, I've not met one yet that can't be rejuvenated by disconnecting the connectors and using a bit of DeOxIt on them. I've brought many back to life and restored missing channels that way. Replacement knobs are easy to get.

Problem is that you get it back to perfect and ya just hate to toss a perfectly good piece of gear and...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
nick danger

Post by nick danger »

I think it's the internal effects module that has gone bad. Haven't totally dismantled it in order to fully clean it yet, but everything seems to be routed thru it-- the aux channels provide little but feedback now. Will probably attempt a thorough cleaning when I have the time, but also hoping that MOTU continues to make progress in their AVB units so they can be a viable alternative.

I have used one of the Mackie digital units (the ones that mate up with an iPad,) and thought it worked pretty well. But like the potential expandability of MOTU's units.
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel core 2 duo, 8 gb ram running 10.11.6; 17" Macbook Pro 8,3, 2.5 GHz Core I7, 16 GB ram running 10.13.6; DP 8.07; 8pre-es; 828mkII; 828mkI; microbook II, Behringer ADA8000, Black Lion Auteur 2-Ch. Pre-Amp
dix

Post by dix »

...one other knock against MOTU's AVB i/os is that, as far as I know, there's no way to introduce delay to compensate for speaker distance in a venue. Nothing in the hardware and no way to insert :(
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

dix wrote:
How well would they work in standalone mode as a mixer? How stable is the browser-based interface for controlling it (likely with my iPad 2 and/or iPhone 5s?)
I don't own an AVB i/o, but I've used them in live situations. The browser interface is stable, but is still evolving. It's very basic. Not a lot of features (yet?). As far as mixing goes, nothing beats a fader to grab especially when things get out of control. It's cumbersome to have to mouse your way through a mix. There's no control surfaces available for AVB i/os yet as far as I know. I did just notice that all the connected AVB i/os will follow a laptop's volume control/muting if you want them to. I haven't tried it yet, but if that works that would reduce the risk of deafening anyone if something goes whacky.

....my last real hold out of mixerless mixing is safety. Who hasn't been in situation in a home or live when a sudden blast of loud unanticipated sound explodes out of the monitors. A computer gui or WiFi connected app can easily go nonfunctional. A master fader will not.
I did a lot of live mixing with 2 896mk3 and additional 8 ch ADAT interface,
Cuemix FX never let me down, I even terminated the app and relaunched and loaded the working preset. Even unplugged the FW connector, the 896mk3 just continued to work...
Don't know the new AVB boxes, but if you can connect multiple remote control clients, there is hopefully always one working...
At least I can do this with the X32cores I now run, and a BCF2000 is still in use for i.e. 8 VCA...
I still use DP 7.24 to record from them 32 tracks live, although I had to separate the FW bus for interface stream only, and use USB2 to record onto an SSD.
The 896mk3s had clearly better ( Motu ) drivers since recording at the same time over firewire worked then...
See my sig pics

Best regards to everybody :D

Klaus
nick danger

Post by nick danger »

The inability to delay the signal to compensate for speaker distance isn't a consideration for the way I would initially use an AVB unit, but the system's expandability clearly presupposes its use in large venues (which I currently don't work in.) The most recent release of the stage box would seem to indicate that they intend to provide that capability. I hope so, anyway.
SamuelBLupowitz

Post by SamuelBLupowitz »

Zombie thread -- curious about folks who use the Stage-B16 or its ilk for live mixing, and how many devices you're able to connect wirelessly. I've been using my B16 in rehearsals with various ensembles adjusting their own custom monitor mixes from their phones. It seems like more than four connections, or thereabouts, I get a lot of glitches and freezing -- not sure if that's because of the number of devices connected, or just because the Motu can't handle more inputs and outputs? I'm hoping it's the wireless device connections causing the issue rather than the Motu being underpowered. Any thoughts and experiences are welcome.
Vadium

Post by Vadium »

Dear users of Stage-B16, question: at all - are you happy with this device? Especially about stability, live show mixing, working with mac/M1. I attempt to decide, which compact mixer to buy for our group.