Moving to a new computer

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
midilance
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Moving to a new computer

Post by midilance »

I will be replacing my Mac Pro 3,1 with a new 27" iMac i7. Currently, I use four internal drives with 1 TB each. Drive one is for startup. Two is Projects. Three is Samples and Four is Media for videos etc.
I use Super Duper for backup with an external Firewire drive for each internal drive. I'm running El Cap and all my software is updated. Since Super Duper has created a backup of Drive One that is bootable, why wouldn't I simply have Super Duper copy my external bootable drive, along with my samples drive contents to my new 3 TB Fusion drive?
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Moving to a new computer

Post by mikehalloran »

Make a Time Machne backup of your entire setup. Let it index. If something goes wrong, it will save your butt.

There are many things that can go wrong. Apple never recommends cloning for very good reasons. The people who preach cloning think it's nonsense. It may work for you or not. If you can do it through cloning and that works, sure, why not? Make certain that, when you are done, you download and reinstall the OS—otherwise, you won't have a Repair Partition.

Do not copy everything over. That is a really bad idea.

More info here:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=61635
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro