Firmware update issue

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
insch
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Firmware update issue

Post by insch »

I am trying to update the firmware on my MIDI Express XT but keep getting the error message:

'The device is not detected. Confirm it is connected to the computer via USB'.

It is connected and it is detected within DP and Audio MIDI setup. Any thoughts/advice?
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 Mac Pro, Mac OS 11.5.2, 64 GB RAM, MOTU 8M, DP 11.01
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Firmware update issue

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Are you sure the firmware update is the correct one for the device?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
insch

Post by insch »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Are you sure the firmware update is the correct one for the device?
It is for 'MOTU MIDI Express XT' which I have.
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 Mac Pro, Mac OS 11.5.2, 64 GB RAM, MOTU 8M, DP 11.01
ahimmel

Post by ahimmel »

Exactly the same issue here.
Alex
Mexico City
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

But is it new enough that the firmware can be updated? If it predates 2011, then no, it can't. MOTU has been making the MIDI Express XT off and on since 1996 or so.

I think the current version is the third. Prior to that was the MIDI Express XT USB with the firmware burned into a user replaceable chip— Firmware 2.0.1 is still compatible with new Macs and PCs (unfortunately, no one has been able to purchase the 2.0.1 chip since 2012). The first was the series/parallel version—it cannot be updated either.

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... echangelog

NOTE: These firmware updates are only applicable to MIDI Express XT units that have a serial number starting with ‘MXT’. Units that have a serial number starting with ‘MEXT’ or ‘MXXTU’ cannot be updated.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

See I repeat my question.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
insch

Post by insch »

mikehalloran wrote:
But is it new enough that the firmware can be updated? If it predates 2011, then no, it can't. MOTU has been making the MIDI Express XT off and on since 1996 or so.

I think the current version is the third. Prior to that was the MIDI Express XT USB with the firmware burned into a user replaceable chip— Firmware 2.0.1 is still compatible with new Macs and PCs (unfortunately, no one has been able to purchase the 2.0.1 chip since 2012). The first was the series/parallel version—it cannot be updated either.

NOTE: These firmware updates are only applicable to MIDI Express XT units that have a serial number starting with ‘MXT’. Units that have a serial number starting with ‘MEXT’ or ‘MXXTU’ cannot be updated.
Thanks - I think that was the issue
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Sure.

BTW, this may not have been clear. If you own the older version of the MIDI Express XT USB, the current firmware is 2.0.1 and it is compatible with Mac and Windows. Firmware 2.0.0 works in most cases but not all — despite what eBay sellers say.

Unfortunately, the only way to get the current 2.0.1 firmware is to find a MOTU MIDI USB device that has it on Craigslist or eBay and pull the chip—it doesn't matter which one as long as it says so on the chip sticker or display screen. A friend of mine found a Micro Express USB with a dead screen and the right firmware chip to update his MIDI Express XT USB.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
insch

Post by insch »

Thanks Mike. I guess since my unit works I shouldn't meddle!
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:

If the firmware is on a standard prom/eprom with a chip reader/programmer it should be able to be duplicated. Barring copyright of course.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

musicman691 wrote: If the firmware is on a standard prom/eprom with a chip reader/programmer it should be able to be duplicated. Barring copyright of course.
Big "if". Although that has been suggested many times over the years, I can't recall anyone posting success in doing that.

Having bought one of the last 2.0.1 chip sets in 2012, I'm not going there. I do have a Micro Express Serial/Parallel with v.1.x and my MTP/AV USB if anyone wants to try.
EaglePerson

Post by EaglePerson »

Looks like no one as been a real help here.

I'm getting the same issue when I try to run the firmware update. I'm using a new model Express XT and I'm getting the same error message when I run even older updates from 2012.

The XT is recognized by the Mac and Clockworks but not by the updater.

Similarly I'm trying to run a firmware update because for whatever reason bout %20 of the notes I play are latching. That is to say they are playing with infinite sustain. The problem is fixed when I go MIDI out from my audio interface.

These things are either buggy as hell or a bitch to program... haven't figured out which it is yet.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Your conclusion is a false dichotomy. The fact is, the MOTU MIDI interfaces aren't "buggy" (I grow weary of that word) or a "bitch to program."

This thread may not be especially helpful because, like most threads on this forum, it was posted randomly in the completely wrong subform. It's about MOTU Hardware, not DP.

Have you talked to MOTU about this problem?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]