UltraLite-mk3 - how to pan?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
loveoldtrux
Primary DAW OS: Windows

UltraLite-mk3 - how to pan?

Post by loveoldtrux »

HI guys - have my MK3 setup using the stereo speaker out; I'm assuming they automagically send stereo to left and right; using Truth 2031A's. They seem to work fine; no problems - GREAT sound... so much better than my old SoundBlaster on my Pentium One box!! (good ole days....)

I've read the manual a few times; don't understand parts of it. Basically the Motu was just a plug-n-play deal.... haven't done any special configuration if it's needed. Plugged it in and it worked. Yippee!

Recently got a 1000W subwoofer and put it in port 8. Not as loud as I thought it would be at one THOUSAND watts. The cable that feeds it is a TRS fitting on one end (at the Motu) and an XLR at the sub end (the cable is all one piece; no adapters used). The Sub has a left and right input; Duh... I've just got ONE cable so I stuck it in the left input.

Maybe that's why the output isn't so "grand"?...maybe 1/2 half the signal is going to this "ghost right channel"? Should I go into Cuemix and pan that input all the way to the left port? For the life of me, can't figure out how to do that... has anybody figured out how to do this? Also have four more Truth 2031's coming in for ports 3, 5 & 6 in about a week; will I need to "pan" those too?

Hoping you can help,
Mark
arumdevil
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UltraLite-mk3 - how to pan?

Post by arumdevil »

yes, if the sub is expecting a stereo signal, then you are only getting half of that so it will only be half as loud as it should be.

As to how to achieve that - I'm not sure if it's possible directly in the hardware. It's easy enough within a DAW software but that's probably not what you want.

[edit:] That said, summing them into one input on the sub isn't ideal as it may overload the circuitry. Your best option is going to be running another cable to the second input from output 7 on your hardware.

The 2031s won't need to pan as they should be outputting a single channel anyway.
regards,
arum

MacBook Air core i7 1.7ghz, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD , UltraLite MKI FW, StudioLogic 990pro, DP9
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

That said, summing them into one input on the sub isn't ideal as it may overload the circuitry. Your best option is going to be running another cable to the second input from output 7 on your hardware.
Many subs are half volume if you run a summing signal into both channels—my JBL is that way. If set to sub only, it wants to see the mono signal in one channel.

Try summing into the R channel only and see if that fixes it. Summing R/L will not overload an input. If there is input sensitivity, try -10 and +4. One should be better.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
loveoldtrux
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by loveoldtrux »

Mike, Arun - thanks for the replies... I'll see what I can do....

Mark