828x audio glitches when plugging in USB MIDI Device

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
floriflocke
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828x audio glitches when plugging in USB MIDI Device

Post by floriflocke »

Hi guys,

we have a Motu 828x and are having real difficulty with a glitch (attached below) that is making our live set increasingly unstable and unreliable. We have upcoming shows so this is quite a worry.

After updating our Mac to El Capitan we get heavy audio glitches when plugging in a usb device while an Ableton project is open. (Running 9.5) These glitches didn't happen when Yosemite was installed, although random shorter glitches occurred from time to time as well but different to these.

We tried with every firmware and driver version, also the latest for OSX El Capitan as well as different MacBooks and USB devices incl. various hubs (Keyboards, Controller, etc.), using both thunderbolt and usb. The problem occurs in both Ableton Live and Logic Pro X and only with El Capitan installed and using the Motu. When using a Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 this problem did not occur which tells us it must be a problem with Motu itself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96ivi5qyyaeux ... h.m4a?dl=0

The glitch doesn't stop until switching the Interface on and of, or changing settings in the MOTU audio setup ( switching Clock Source to World Clock in and back to internal, Enable Core Audio Volume Controls, ...)

If you can think of anything to help, please let us know. Customer support has left us hanging.

Best,
Florian
SonidoEncarnado

Re: 828x audio glitches when plugging in USB MIDI Device

Post by SonidoEncarnado »

Hi, Im getting a similar problem with my Microbook ii,

simptoms: glitch similar to yours, play speed doubles,
Or, get cracks and latency increases.

I get this while im playing my ableton live performance set which consists of MacbookPro13, Yosemite, Ableton 9.2, Synth(wharfed rocket, MIDI triggered from ableton and audio coming back through Microbook ii to ableton.) and a couple of MIDI Controllers (launchControl and A&H K2)

getting a bus powered usb hub did't help.

I need to turn off Motu from Ableton Audio setting to stop this ••••.

It has actually occurred during my show...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You are running OS 10.11.4, right?

The latest OS update did address some USB issues but I suspect not all.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If nothing else works, can you buy a USB hub or two and keep everything plugged in all the time?