Track16 and El Capitan - device disappears from audio prefs

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
bitsnrather
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Track16 and El Capitan - device disappears from audio prefs

Post by bitsnrather »

Hi, first time posting on this board, thanks in advance for any advice! I have a Track16 and just recently decided to upgrade to El Capitan on my Macbook Pro (after doing a little research to see how other Track16 users had fared). Since I didn't see any major red flags, I dove in. I had to update the Track16 driver after the El Capitan install, but everything seemed fine . . . until my computer HD went to sleep. On logging back in, there was no audio output through the Track16, and when I checked System Preferences -> Audio, it had disappeared from the device list. The only things that worked to resolve was a reboot of the computer. I've asked for support from MOTU and they've had me uninstall/reinstall the drivers, update the firmware on the Track16, create a new user account on my computer and test there . . . all to no avail, the problem keeps coming back any time the HD goes to sleep. One workaround obviously is turn off the power saving feature, but I'd rather not, and this problem didn't exist before, so I'm at a loss. Anyone experienced anything similar or had any luck troubleshooting such issues? Thanks again for any thoughts.
Brian
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Track16 and El Capitan - device disappears from audio pr

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

For that reason (and some other apps) I never put the hard drives to sleep. only the monitors. I understand you wanting to sleep the drives, but in my experience it doesn't do anything to make the drives last any longer and only adds incrementally to heat. In a laptop, your big heat source is your battery (if heat is your main concern).

You don't say that the T16 is connected via USB or Firewire (TB?) and whether of not you have the external power supply connected. I always use the external power since I get snap, crackle, and pops otherwise. I also always use the FW port (in my case now with a TB to FW adaptor). I have had connection issues when using USB and that may be the real problem. But is may also be that the machine, in Energy Saver mode, is not supplying power to the T16 and other peripherals. Other devices may be more forgiving and the T16 should come back online after sleep mode, but again, there are the variables of USB v. FW/TB and external power v. bus power.

I am experiencing ZERO problems with the T16. Best audio device I've ever owned.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bitsnrather

Post by bitsnrather »

thanks for the reply and advice about letting the HD sleep. That might be my only option, it looks like! I'm using USB to connect to my Mac, and I too always use the external power supply. My experience with the T16 has been fantastic as well, up until the OS upgrade (?) to El Capitan and new MOTU driver. Thanks again for your thoughts.
MIDI Life Crisis

What apps/DAW are you using it with; if I may ask?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bitsnrather

Post by bitsnrather »

I'm using Reaper_64bit for my DAW, but usually run all audio through the track16 - so Itunes, youtube, iRealPro (which is a practice tool that has play-along tracks), etc.
MIDI Life Crisis

bitsnrather wrote:I'm using Reaper_64bit for my DAW, but usually run all audio through the track16 - so Itunes, youtube, iRealPro (which is a practice tool that has play-along tracks), etc.
Well that explains it. It's Reaper! LOL :rofl:

Sorry, small running joke in this forum about Reaper.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

How old is the MBP? HHD or SSD?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bitsnrather

Post by bitsnrather »

I wondered about the Reaper business when typing my response. I personally don't get it, I think Reaper is awesome but I assume somebody had a bad experience? At any rate, the problem occurs with any audio source so I don't think the DAW is the problem.

The MPB is about 3 years old, SSD, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Ram . . . if any of that helps?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There's no reason to put an SSD to sleep. Turn off Put Hard Disk to Sleep When Possible in System Preferences/Energy Saver and see if that helps.

It could be your DAW, actually. Check Prevent App Nap in Get Info if not done already.

Repair Disk Permissions. It can't hurt and might help. In OS 10.11, copy the following and paste into Terminal and hit the Enter key. When prompted, enter your admin password and Enter. It will take about a minute or two with an SSD. When you get another prompt, you are done.

sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bitsnrather

Post by bitsnrather »

I don't think it's the DAW, because the issues occurs even when I haven't opened R3aper :)
I agree though, no need to put the HD to sleep because it's SSD, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I did try the repair permission idea, that didn't seem to make a difference - the track16 disappeared again when the disk went to sleep. Preventing the HD from sleeping seems the best bet (and I can confirm that this works - the track16 doesn't go anywhere as long as the HD doesn't sleep). Thanks guys for the help!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The only other thing I can think of is to reset the NV RAM. Among other things, this will reset your USB port to its defaults. Definitely worth a try.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

A Hail Mary in these situations is to reset the SMC but you do that only if nothing else works. Here's the support article on the SMC and how to reset the defaults:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Are you using any 3rd party apps or utilities to maintain or optimize your Mac?