Both MOTU 8pres have suddenly stopped working with Logic

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
wmyoung12
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Both MOTU 8pres have suddenly stopped working with Logic

Post by wmyoung12 »

Alright guys and gals, I’m about to lose my freaking mind and I could really use some help. I run Logic on my top of the line Mac Pro (which I use solely for recording music). For the past year or so, I’ve been using two MOTU 8pres – one is a firewire interface, the other a USB. The USB (MOTU #2) is connected via optical cable to the firewire (MOTU #1). For over a year, the two have worked beautifully together. I’ve never had a single problem. Last week during a recording session, however, guitar tracks started cutting in and out as they were recorded, as well as when I played back previous recordings. I couldn’t figure out what the problem was, so I decided to uninstall/reinstall Logic, download the latest version of MOTU’s Audio Setup software, and update my Mac to the latest OS. The problem remains unsolved.

My next idea was to isolate each of the MOTUs, thinking that perhaps one of them was malfunctioning. I unplugged the optical connection between the two MOTUs and tested each MOTU separately. First, I tried plugging in MOTU #1 (firewire) and playing a song through iTunes. The playback through both of my monitors is crystal clear – no problems at all. When I open Logic and try listening to one of my songs, however, the playback coming from the left monitor has an absolutely horrendous fuzzy/squeeky/feedback sort of sound. It’s so bad that I literally can only barely hear the music playing under it. The right monitor, curiously, sounds absolutely fine.

I figured that I’d solved the problem, and that MOTU #1 was simply malfunctioning, so I decided to just plug in MOTU #2 (USB) and use it until I could get my MOTU #1 replaced/repaired. When I plugged in MOTU #2, however, an even weirder problem happened. Just like MOTU #1, MOTU #2 plays audio perfectly through iTunes. But when I open Logic, there’s no playback whatsoever from any of my projects. No fuzz, no hum, just total silence. Stranger still, after attempting to use Logic with MOTU #2, iTunes suddenly stops working. iTunes plays back fine BEFORE I try using Logic, but as soon as I open Logic, iTunes stops working.

I have no idea what’s going on and I desperately need some assistance. I find it nearly mathematically impossible that both of my MOTUs somehow crapped out at the exact same time. There’s gotta be something else going on that I can’t figure out. I believe the problem must be with Logic, because if it’s the MOTUs then songs probably wouldn’t be playing through iTunes at all. BUT, when I work on projects without my computer being connected to either MOTU, my Logic projects work fine. Please, PLEASE help!

Thank you in advance,

Will
mikehalloran

Re: Both MOTU 8pres have suddenly stopped working with Logic

Post by mikehalloran »

Your FW or USB bus (or both) can crash. Try resetting the NV RAM (PRAM)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Last time it happened to me, I had to do it three times. That was about five years ago. Using a FW hub with my 828mkII was the culprit — did the same thing to my G5. I tried a few different brands and finally gave up. Now the 828 is the only FW device I use anymore.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Sometimes I forget the obvious...

Your MacPro may be top of the line but it can't be a 2013 or later. Your FW 8pre won't work with any Thunderbolt Mac. Unlike most MOTU FW interfaces, this one require a direct connection to FireWire and won't work through the TB–FW adapter (for future reference). Your USB unit will work with the latest Macs.

This begs the questions: How old is it? When did you last change the battery? A weak BR2032 battery can screw up your PCIe, FW and USB busses. The Mac Pro tower can take the common CR2032 version you can get from any hardware or drug store.

Replacing the battery is easy but there's a trick to it. If necessary, there are YouTube videos that show you how.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wmyoung12

Post by wmyoung12 »

Hey Mike, thanks for the help. Unfortunately, my setup is still not working. I reset the NVRAM on my Mac (four times, for good measure), but that hasn’t solved the problem. It’s interesting that you said that my firewire 8pre shouldn’t work with a Thunderbolt Mac, because I’ve been using a TB-FW adapter successfully for about a year now. Still, I wonder if that may be part of the problem. For now, I’m focusing on just trying to get my USB 8pre working, and I’m still not having any luck. And as for your last question, my Mac Pro and 8pre USB are both barely a year old. Do you have any other ideas? I find it very, very strange that songs play through iTunes perfectly when my 8pre USB is plugged in, but once I open Logic I can’t hear any playback from my projects, AND iTunes suddenly stops working.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Will
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I'd try deleting Audio MIDI Setup preferences and try setting the connections up again.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There's an old note from MOTU in an ancient thread that stated the FW 8pre won't work over TB. That's been the stock answer around here for a long time.

Yea, won't be the battery. That should last five years at least and is a time consuming PIA to replace. Because of the internal heat, this requires the BR2032 when the time comes in a few years.

Are you going through a USB hub? Unlike a FW hub, many reports of MOTU USB devices working better when a hub is in the system. USB 2 and USB 3 share a connector but the two protocols run on separate wires inside the cable.
mikamusik

Post by mikamusik »

Hi there,

I have a similar problem. I have Digital Performer 9.02 and just bought a FW 8Pre used. When listening to Quicktime or iTunes, the sound card is crystal clear, but when using DP the sound is louder (than rendered mixes from DP listened through QT) and distorts over the Main Outs and Headphones. While this does not affect the sound quality of the rendered mixes, it poses a problem when listening while working.

I'm using OS X 10.10.5 on a MacBook Pro i7 2.66 from mid 2010.

I also have an 828mkII and a 4Pre and they don't have any problems running the same DP session.

Any idea what could cause this?