motu 24io + pcie 424 + el capitan [RESOLVED]

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
bubblecat
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

motu 24io + pcie 424 + el capitan [RESOLVED]

Post by bubblecat »

Hi,

It's a long while since I logged in here, so not quite a newbie but certainly a little rusty and with a new mac set up - i'd greatly appreciate some kind assistance. I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere, i could not find a similar topic.

My new set up is an old (but fairly recently serviced) motu 24io - i used to run this and another 24io via PC, with ableton as my DAW. all analogue via firewire. No problems as such, aside from the computer being a bit slow and crappy (but no issues with motu hardware or pci card). I recently replaced the computer with a second-hand but excellent condition mac pro, which is running el capitan - seemingly no problems anywhere, quad core, much improved from the pc thus far. I have had to replace the old pci card with a pcie 424, but that's where i'm stuck - i've downloaded the new motu drivers (1.6.67918) and the pci card shows up, but i get no options for the hardware. I really doubt there is a problem with the external hardware as it was working fine not so long ago. but i'm at a loss as to whether this could be a driver issue (my pc was fussy about correct drivers), or a mac issue, or a pci card issue... could it be a firmware issue even? I've tried switching the firewire leads etc to no avail.

Any pointers or ideas, I would be massively grateful.

thanks
mikehalloran

Re: motu 24io + pcie 424 + el capitan

Post by mikehalloran »

i've downloaded the new motu drivers (1.6.67918) and the pci card shows up, but i get no options for the hardware.
Is this in AudioMidi Setup or in DP?

I don't know. The latest beta is 1.6.68717 but it is supposed to be required for USB. Since old drivers will overwrite newer ones, I don't see why you shouldn't try and revert if necessary. I am not convinced this has to do with your problem.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bubblecat

Re: motu 24io + pcie 424 + el capitan

Post by bubblecat »

Mike, thanks for looking this over for me. I wasn't convinced it was anything to do with the drivers either, and it turned out it wasn't. The soundcard just wasn't picking up the 24io. I started again from scratch, reinstalled the pcie, reinstalled drivers, cleaned all the connections and it worked. I think my lack of mac familiarity had thrown me a big red herring.

Still, it helped having someone to run it past. Thanks again.