Audio Rooting Motu Traveller Mk3

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
JoseNoventa
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audio Rooting Motu Traveller Mk3

Post by JoseNoventa »

Hey,

I have no Know how about this Rooting audio, And i'd like to someone help me with my Problem. Probably other people will want this option too.. but i can't seem to crack it .. Here it goes.

I have a Motu Traveller Mk3 running as my audio interface.
and my audio from mac (Itunes , clicks and more) are rooted to analog 1-2.

So when i play music it comes thru analog 1-2 and can only effect sound when i turn the master monitor.. now i'd like to find a way for my audio from mac comes in as another audio in (in cue mix) so i can mute/unmute. but still in the end comes thru main outs 1/2 so i have all my anolog input's next to digital instruments / samplers / mic's / Mac sound coming thru mix Bus 1 (Analog 1/2 ) + i'd like to have another mix Bus 2 send to 3/4 with same settings all my analog inputs next to my digitals, to send to my sampler so i can change which input i send to sampler without effecting the Main output.

Now i only managed to get everything to 1/2 , 3/4 or AES , SPDIF only.. not simultaenously ..
Could someone help me with my problem? if something is not clear i'm happy to explain more.
Thanks in front to ANY helpers out there ..
TinenTech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Audio Rooting Motu Traveller Mk3

Post by TinenTech »

If I read you correctly, you have a Mac application like iTunes that you’d like to route through CueMix FX so you can change the volume, EQ, and mute settings to any of the outputs of CueMix. You can even add reverb and compression if you want to.

In short, what you need to do is:
1. Route the sound output of the Mac to an output of the MOTU interface that isn’t being used for any other purpose.
2. Use a cable to connect this output of the MOTU interface back to an input of the interface.
3. Bring up the volume of this input in CueMix (usually, to your Main Mix).

Here’s what I’d do:

• Open MOTU Audio Setup and set Default Stereo Output to S/PDIF 1-2 (or any output pair that you’re not using for anything else.)
• In System Preferences/Sound, select the Output tab, and select your MOTU device as the one to use (in your case, MOTU Traveller mk3). You could also do this using the Audio MIDI Setup application in your Utilities folder. If for some reason you want to hear alert sounds through your monitors as well, select the Sound Effects tab and select “Play sound effects through: MOTU Traveller mk3”. (This is normally set to Internal Speakers.)
• Use a short phono-to-phono cable to patch from the S/PDIF OUT to the S/PDIF IN, or whatever output pair you decided to use.
• Open the CueMix application. iTunes should be audible in any mix whose S/PDIF 1-2 fader is up and unmuted.

Note that you can simply set the output of the Mac to go to whatever output pair you want, using MOTU Audio Setup, and it will appear there without having to go through this, but you won’t be able to use the CueMix controls for mute and level to multiple mixes simultaneously.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12