SSD drive methodology.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Henry Robinett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

SSD drive methodology.

Post by Henry Robinett »

So I guess I've got to start thinking about this. I've always used the four drive bays as

HD 1: OS and application, documents and iTunes, samples for Kontakt, etc.
HD2: backup of HD 1
HD3: DP and other audio projects.
HD 4 back up of HD3

It's worked well. I have other drives connected via FireWire or USB I can offload to. All the drives are 2TB. They back up every night with SuperDuper.

Obviously if I go SSD I'll just put the OS and apps on it (HD1) and everything else goes elsewhere. That means my back up drive won't be an SSD. I can back it up to an external drive, or just have a smaller internal HD 2 to back it up, put all my documents, iTunes (huge), and DP audio on 3/4.

What do you guys do? Just thinking out loud. I'm reconfiguring. I upgraded the CPU and memory of a MP. Still having some issues related, I'm sure, to not doing clean installs. So I figure I really just need to bite the bullet, take a couple of weeks, no doubt, and slowly reinstall all my software. ARGGH.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
mikehalloran

Re: SSD drive methodology.

Post by mikehalloran »

What do you guys do?
I use multiple drives for Time Machine. One local, two remote. Works great, invisible and does not conflict with any process my Mac is using. and Apple always updates it with the OS.

Do not use SSDs for archival and backup.

3-6tB HHD drives are cheap and readily available. Avoid Seagate unless you want to join the class action suit over the (non)reliability of their drives.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Yeah, no SSD for archive. I should use Time Machine, but I don't.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

OS and Applications, and all sessions work and VI sample sets reside on SSDs. My SSDs were purchased when capacity was limited, so there are five of 'em… one in an OWC SSD drive sled and four sitting in the optical bay on top of the (unused) lower bay optical drive. Two of the four are connected to the SATA ports in the optical bay. A SATA3 Pie card hosts the remaining two. Trim is enabled (I'm running Mountain Lion) using Cidnori's Trim Enabler.

I archive at end of day to two internal spinners. Time Machine is always running in the background on one of two USB2-connected external HDs just in case, and I rotate the Time Machine drives on and off site every week or two for disaster-proof backup.

Optical drive is a BluRay burner in an external Firewire case that sits on my desk. The Computer and everything else is in the machine closet, out of sight and sound.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31