CUE MIX OUTPUTS & STEREO PAIRS?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
IKKAKUJUU
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

CUE MIX OUTPUTS & STEREO PAIRS?

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Hello,,i am just setting up my system,828MK3Hybrid to 828MK3 to 828MK2to Traveler. So far everything looked fine,i named it all in the Audio set up,Synced the units together with wordclock .FW & SPDIF as told how to,,but then i just looked at CUE MIX Console to see how my set up was mirrored therein . All the inputs are fine,,but on the first 2 MK3 the outputs sections has thngs set together in pairs,,(which if real will be a disaster)for the MK2 and the Traveler it does not seem like their is even a tab to see the Outputs!?...Apart from an assignable main output pair or bus.

Please advise on this...! as i really need my outputs to all be individual mono and nothing paired together at all......

THanks,,,!
bayswater

Re: CUE MIX OUTPUTS & STEREO PAIRS?

Post by bayswater »

I only have the 828-3 but for that Cuemix allows you to switch the stereo pairs to mono channels. Using the Inputs tab, there should be a mono/stereo button below the focus button.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

I don't think outputs can be set as mono...( 896mk3H here )
Best

Klaus
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Well,,thanks for those replies,,,not quite sure what i do if cannot control the outputs to individual Mono,it doesn't make much sense if returning individual tracks back out for analog summing or surround?...
After all my inputs are not Stereo Pairs,and they do not pair up on outputs,
On my 2nd 828 i have Bas hi,Bass Lo (sort of a Pair) then i have 3 separate mics for one amp and another 3 for 2nd amp,,so no pairs,,and the whole idea is to control the mix between the single mics..!
Not that i am going to be using Cuemix for this,,,but still it is odd that the outputs are not assignable as the outputs?..
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Outputs can't be set as mono, but inputs can be sent to individual outputs using the pan/balance controls. If the device has 4 stereo output pairs and you want to treat them as 8 mono outputs, route inputs 1 and 2 to mix pair 1, panned left and right, inputs 3-4 to output 2, and so on.
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Thank you Bayswater for that clarification.
One more thing though,,I Only looked at Cue-Mix out of curiosity as i try and set up my real mixing consoles with DP & these 828 Interfaces.I am not using it practically at present.
My goal is to have an Analog summing set,so at present i have 3 D Subs going into 3 of the units 8 inputs,,,and 2 of those units 8 outputs are returning back to my console on 16 spare TRS Inputs. I haven't gotten as far as to test yet,,i just spent hours labelling everything in a DP Template and creating folders,,but what i want to know is will i be able to assign mono tracks back out through 828s TRS Outputs via DP(with no consideration of CueMix),all individual Mono,or will it be a similar story?.. Is it just in the digital virtuality of Cue Mix where i have to pan Sub mix Pairs to achieve this?.I see the Mixes Tab now.Maybe i will have problems with the amps i have that are mic'd with 3 mics.Or it will just pan out in an uneven Left/Right sequence..

Got a practically new 828MK3 Hybrid,,,but it keeps needing to be factory reset as the sound keeps dissapearing or not being there when i boot up.Got all the firm-wares up to date though.(It just happened again,,as i rebooted up DP,,instantly the sound disappeared,but it is still the selected output device,,)& this time DP is freezing,,and now the re-initialise to factory trick took 2 times to work the sound back. (I leave this up,,but might have found a solution.I booted back up DP same story,sound dropped.Went to Studio Set Up and the Audio System Clock was set to Word Clock,,I set to Internal and Sound came back (I have 4 external units,Sync as i was told,1st is Internal,this is Word clock to Unit 2,Unit 2 to 3 via Optical,3 to 4 via SpDif,Giving the maximum of FW Units on on Bus at 48KHZ...hopefully that was the solution to that...!(though is my first unit still sync'd to the 2nd via word clock?...next thing on check list!)Shut all down,rebooted,,and this time it worked.!.So that was it it seems.

Thanks again.
Last edited by IKKAKUJUU on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Within DP you can set up the in and out channels as mono in the Bundles window. So I think it would just be Cuemix where you would want to make sure the Mono/Stereo and Pan/Balance controls are set the way you want them. Also, you would only need to do this once -- barring unforeseen situations, the settings you apply in Cuemix become the hardware settings and will stay in place unless you change them in Cuemix or on the hardware front panels. You can, of course, save the cuemix settings in the device hardware, or as files on the computer, to be recalled any time you have to recover a lost setting.
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Thanks again Bayswater,,i'll have to check out the bundles,,but good too know i can have mono outputs,seeing as i am going to be recording via direct outputs to the 828's,if all goes to plan,recording them to DP,,then,,back out again via 828 outputs to the Mackie TRS Inputs,,and then i can apply Aux Send FX & Dynamics and then mix down back out to the Front XLR Pair to a SubMix Stereo Print Track i have set up for that purpose in DP,,that way i create Stems,,and then can mixdown those to the final Stereo Mix,,(At least that is the theory,( ihave some great analog outboard i want to take advantage of,hence all the malarky,!)).I suppose this will become clear when i get to it,,though i have no idea of Bundles,,,still i am right at the start with it all.But the problem i mentioned above,,,i did by pure chance find the answer by looking in the set up,and switching from wordclock to internal...I then shut down everything,turned off the hardware,,booted back up and sound is there from the word go...! Funny enough,,come to think of it,this morning when i started out and found this problem,it appeared before booting up DP! ...but maybe the fact of things being set in DP the night before caused some conflict of timing..So far it seems to function correctly.Cheers..! PS ,,now i see the bundles as i configure my ins and outputs in DP,,they correspond to the MOTU Audio set up Edit channel names i did earlier for my devices,,!Great..!
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Well,,new query,,, as i configure in DP..i see the part where i can select mono or stereo bundles or mix busses. However the drop down menu only is showing my first unit in the daisy chain and its ins and outs and not the other 3 that are linked to it..! ? They are showing on my Devices list in the audio set up,,and where you edit the channel names,,
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If the other devices are not physically connected, CoreAudio can't see them and therefore DP can't see them. If you are daisy chaining these units you'd have to set up the connections before the one that is physically connected to the computer using the front panel buttons or Cuemix (Cuemix presumably). If they are really daisy chained, the channels associated with the last link in the chain are the only ones you would be able to access directly with any DAW anyway.

I guess the question lurking there is why you would daisy chain the units? That loses the advantage of increased channel. If you are using the analog channels on each unit for input, then connecting that to the next unit via ADAT, it would make sense. Even then you need to set the routing up via Cuemix for each unit. In DP you would deal with the ADAT inputs on the last unit that are linked to analog inputs on a unit upstream in the daisy chain, rather than dealing directly with the analog input on the upstream unit.

Maybe a little more detail on exactly what you are trying to achieve by daisy chaining?
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Hello Bayswater,,,i thought it was a new topic,,anyway,,,here is how i have done it and it was confimred as logically ok by Magic Dave at Motu,,plus seems to agree with what i read in the user guide..

Unit 1 828 MK3 Hybrid/ 8 analog ins (from Mackie 1-8 direct out)

this is Wordclock synced to;

Unit 2 828 MK3 8 analog ins (from Mackie 9-16 direct out)

(These 2 Units are also sending back out 2 set of 8 analog Outputs from their Respective TRS Outputs back to the Mackie.)

This is Optical Sync;d to;

Unit 3 828 Mk3 8 analog ins (from Mackie 17-24 direct out)No outputs in use.

This S/Pdif Sync to last Unit
Traveler. This has 8 Analog inputs from another Mackie Submixer.No outputs.

They are all connected to each other for audio stream via Firewire and from 828MK3 Hybrid Firewire to my Macbook pro.

They all show up in MOTU Audio Set Up as separate Tabs..
One thing though!,,In Apple Audio Preference Should i be selecting the first device 828MK3 Hybrid as output ,,or Aggregate device?).

I have unticked ADAT etc.. Tabs in MOTU Audio set up so that Bandwidth is correctly available.

This is the first time that i try to daisy chain the units,,but this is the maximum you can do on a bus at 48Khz,,and should function.
Some months ago ,,when i first got the 828Hybrid,,i booted it up for a moment with my Traveler which is the first unit i ever had,,and i dd get an aggregate tab,,showing all of the ins and out like a monster unit,,now that is not so...and,,like i said,,only the 828MK3,,the first unit is showing in DP when i go to add new in/out bundles.They are obviously being detected through the Firewire cables as i have Cuemix and they are visible in Motu Audio set up..!!...Just this holding me up now,,as last night i stopped at 5ham after making a lot of headway in my internal template..!
I Checked again.
Magic Dave recommended i use Firewire for the daisychaining,and that corresponds with the user guide .All the rates are 48, all the Firewire firmly in place,Syn'c as above.And all channels visible in Audio Set Up,no message saying free up bandwidth,,,but,,not in DP..!!.Surely now i should see EX; the 2nd 828Mk3 and its I/O in DP so as to choose them as i/o sources?

Cheers..!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

IKKAKUJUU wrote:They all show up in MOTU Audio Set Up as separate Tabs..
One thing though!,,In Apple Audio Preference Should i be selecting the first device 828MK3 Hybrid as output ,,or Aggregate device?).
You would select the one you want to use for general sound output. If you can use one of them, select that. If you want to use all of them, use Aggregate. For Logic, for example, you'd have to use Aggregate. You might have to create the Aggregate device first -- I don't remember if that is still necessary. For DP it shouldn't matter. DP should be able to see multiple units and address them separately, but it could also use an Aggregate device.
IKKAKUJUU wrote:And all channels visible in Audio Set Up,no message saying free up bandwidth,,,but,,not in DP..!!.Surely now i should see EX; the 2nd 828Mk3 and its I/O in DP so as to choose them as i/o sources?
Yes, from your description, you should be able to see all the inputs and outputs. I assume you have gone to the Setup menu in DP, and selected Configure Audio System > Configure Hardware Driver, and with CoreAudio selected, shift clicked on all your devices to include all of them in DP's setup. I think Master Device would be the one that is sending Wordclock. If so, can you see the separate units in the Bundles window? If not, something is wrong but I don't know what it is. You'll need to go back to MOTU Tech support.