UltraLite mk3 input signal levels

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
microtonal
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UltraLite mk3 input signal levels

Post by microtonal »

What signal level does everyone see when using their UltraLite mk3. I am trying to understand if I have an issue with my unit, or whether the unit's headroom results in odd results from Cuemix and DAWs.

Let's take an example. I feed in a sine wave at 8.24 Vpp to one of the rear panel inputs through an unbalanced connector. Signal level is confirmed with a Tektronix digital scope. Trim is at 0. On the Cuemix oscilloscope I see a signal level of 1.04 "X" peak to peak. I say X because nowhere in the software or manual is the y axis labeled with units. I would assume voltage, but the Cuemix scope does not match my actual input voltage. Recording the waveform in Wavelab, it shows up as -5.62 dB level.

Adjusting Cuemix trim clips the signal at 2.00 Xpp, so it appears I am approaching the headroom limit at the input.

My 8.24 Vpp input signal is obviously over +4 dBu. Shouldn't it show up in both the Cuemix scope and Wavelab as higher signal levels? Or does that match other people's experiences?

Second question on levels, I want to measure noise levels on some equipment using the UltraLite. But recording an unconnected input into Wavelab to get the noise floor, I see noise at -80 dB. Is that the noise floor on those inputs? Does anyone get better results?