2408MKII With Black Lion Audio Mod

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
saxmonster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

2408MKII With Black Lion Audio Mod

Post by saxmonster »

Ok So I picked up a used 2408 MKII with the BLA mod done and I am having a hard time hearing the difference between it an my original 2408mkII. Maybe cause I am just too tired.

Here is what the website says the mod includes, sticker is in the middle of the 2408MKII, instead of the left hand side like pictures I see on the web.

Standard Mod
New, high performance op-amp upgrade on analog inputs (mic and line) to ensure better signal quality leading up to the A/D conversion stage
New, high performance op-amp upgrade on the analog outputs (line, monitor, and headphone) to ensure better signal quality from the D/A conversion stage to the outputs
Improving the performance of the analog stage circuits makes a drastic difference for tracking, mixing, and mastering (expect amazing micro-dynamics and space)!

I have loaded some commercial CD's tracks that I know and love into Digital Performer and I am able to switch in-between the 2 units and man its hard to hear a difference. I think there is a difference but I can't just put my finger on it. I think the BLA might be .5db higher in vol but there is something else there. What is the best way to do this? I'm gonna load more songs in tomorrow so I will have ROCK R&B Country etc. But What is the best way to AB them. I have each song loaded twice on stereo tracks 1st stereo track has the song for the BLA Modded and the next stereo track has the same song for the original unit. So All I have to do is mute the one playing and un mute the next stereo track below it playing the same song in the same spot but now going through the other original 2408. Both Units are hooked up to my mackie 1604 vlz which is then connected to my mackie hr824's

Can't hear that big of a difference. No curtains lifting from my speakers. I think this might go back in the box and back to the seller.

If I bounce a section of the song using the original unit and then another bounce using the modded unit should you hear a difference in the bounces?
Last edited by saxmonster on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran

Re: 240MKII With Black Lion Audio Mod

Post by mikehalloran »

There were some reviews back in the day. At least one blind shootout rated the unmodified unit mic pres higher. I don't recall any that said the BLA mod made much of an improvement. It looks good on paper but...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
saxmonster

Re: 2408MKII With Black Lion Audio Mod

Post by saxmonster »

Ok thanks for the info Mike. I thought I would just try it out and see what all the hoopla is / was about. But with the 2408mkII mod I don't think there is a big enough change for me to keep it. Kinda of a let down, I thought I would at least hear something definite.

Have you tried hooking yours up to an external clock? Does that help at all? I think that might be my next adventure.