Motu hardware and Adobe Flash incompatibility

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
madelefant
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Motu hardware and Adobe Flash incompatibility

Post by madelefant »

Hello. I've seen some coverage of this issue but haven't seen a solution. I have an Motu 828 Mkii firewire version. It, as well as other interfaces do not work properly with Adobe Flash. It has the capability of audio input for streaming etc. What happens is only one channel works. I've tried another audio interface, Focustrite 2i2, and it has the same issue so it seems to be an interface via Mac Os X to Adobe Flash. The Focusrite doesn't use separate drivers. I'm wondering if any one figured out a solution for this. I guess I would think Motu might solve it in the driver. Updated driver to newest I could find on Motu site. Have tried it under Mavericks and 10.6.8.

Thanks in advance
Mike
bayswater

Re: Motu hardware and Adobe Flash incompatibility

Post by bayswater »

I use a Focusrite 18i8 and recently used a MOTU 828Mk3. I don't remember any problems with general with either in general when streaming, at least some of which must have involved Flash. Is the a specific site or source that doesn't work?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
madelefant

Post by madelefant »

I'll have to look into that. I've seen a lot of stuff (on different forums) about this problem with macs and Flash so it isn't exclusive to one site but I think with there higher end purchased products (Adobe) there are solutions but they don't give a hoot for general flash.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, there are problems with Macs and Flash. Apple doesn't like it, prefers HTML5, and won't even let it on iOS devices. There are plugins for Safari that will attempt to use HTML5 instead of Flash when it can. There are loads of things that go wrong when you use Flash on a Mac, but I've never seen the particular issue you mentioned. Maybe Chrome will work better in situations where Flash is essential.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FireFox and Safari are now both 64bit browsers. They use a different build of the Adobe Flash Player than Chrome and Opera which are still 32bit. This is not always obvious when updating via Safari. When you download through Chrome, you will get messages regarding the two versions.

I've never encountered the problem described by the OP.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro