MIDI Express XT (pre 2012) on Intel Mac- Yosemite

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
baron von fancypants
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Express XT (pre 2012) on Intel Mac- Yosemite

Post by baron von fancypants »

Hi everyone,

I've just recently updated my OS to Yosemite (from 10.6).
I haven't done any sequencing since I upgraded my computer from a PowerPC G4 to a MacPro 5,1 several years ago... haven't had an opportunity... was a new parent...
Anyway, I now have a little more time and I tried setting up my studio with my new computer, but found out that my old MIDI Express XT would no longer work with my Intel MacPro. Apparently it doesn't have the chip set needed, though the device IS seen under Audio/MIDI set-up- and I can test my drum machine.

Has anyone tried sequencing (and had success) with the old MIDI Express XT on a similar configuration?:

MacPro 5,1
OS 10.10.5
MIDI Express XT USB (pre 2012)
MOTU 828 MkII FW
Digital Performer 9.0.1

Should I just scrap (or try to sell) the old Express XT and get a new one? If so, does anyone know where I can buy an inexpensive used model? Money's very tight.

Also, what would the major differences (and drawbacks) be between the Express XT and the Express 128?
Thanks in advance for any info!
mikehalloran

Re: MIDI Express XT (pre 2012) on Intel Mac- Yosemite

Post by mikehalloran »

This doesn't sound right. Generally, MOTU MIDI devices work with Intel Macs or they don't.

What is the firmware version of yours?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
baron von fancypants

According to MOTU Tech support, the version of my MIDI Express XT predates the chip I need to communicate with Intel Macs. Therefore the most up to date firmware, 3.0.28, wouldn't (and couldn't) apply.
However, the way that was worded, made it sound like there was a chance that it could work, but it wouldn't be supported.
I've never done any sequencing on my Intel Mac because of the reasons listed above; so the last time I used my MIDI Express for sequencing was on my PowerPC G4.
From the bit of research I've done, it looks like some people are able to get their's to work, but (in some cases) in a limited capacity (not fully polyphonic/poly-instrumental, major latency issues, no Clockworks syncing, etc.)
I think I just have to accept the fact that I need to upgrade my MIDI Express XT to a newer version.
Hopefully I don't need to update my 828 MKII as well!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Ok, that makes more sense. The older MOTU MIDI boxes have the firmware burned in. MOTU stopped selling the upgrade chips in 2012 and they are no longer available from any source.

Used units are easy to find. You want firmware 2.01 to guarantee compatibility with Intel Macs. On eBay, make certain that you get a screen shot showing the firmware version. Compatible MTP-AV USB units show up all the time.

Your 828mkII shouldn't have a problem. Mine doesn't.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Hey guys, is it the combination of OS and Firmware or just Firmware. Mine is old and works on my MacPro but I am at 10.9.5.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
baron von fancypants

My understanding is that it's a chip in the MIDI Express unit itself that allows it to communicate with the Intel Mac (and then the firmware upgrade).
If your's works, I'm assuming that it has the chip upgrade.