Can I boot a laptop from a clone of an iMac?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can I boot a laptop from a clone of an iMac?

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

I'll take a few days off, and I was wondering if I could borrow my wife's laptop (running Mavericks) to boot a clone I did from my office iMac. This clone has Yosemite, done with CCC, with a boot key partition and everything. It is encrypted.

Her laptop is relatively recent, from last year.

I'm almost positive I read somewhere that it was not possible and it might damage the laptop (or the clone file system).

Is this still so, or can I safely boot from this clone, which is in an external USB2 case, and work from it normally, as if I were at my studio???

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
cuttime

Re: Can I boot a laptop from a clone of an iMac?

Post by cuttime »

I'm not sure about the inter-machine cross booting, but even if you could, some, or probably most of your authorizations wouldn't work.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've done it, but installed a new OS copy soon afterwards. It was a MacBook into a somewhat newer MacBook. Worked OK, but there were no apps involved that needed authorizations.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Probably. You won't harm anything by trying. USB or Target (Option T) via firewire or Thunderbolt.

With USB, you can try an Option Boot and see if the hard drive on the other machine appears. This is what I would try first. Have the target machine connected and on before you option boot the other Mac.

As has been pointed out, there may (probably will) be authorization issues but not with DP—if you get the screen, just type in your registration info exactly the way that MOTU has it in your account.

I just found this:

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/mac-startup-options/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro