Motu 16a level recording difference

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
wim1981
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Motu 16a level recording difference

Post by wim1981 »

Hi,

I have some difficulty with the recording levels in my daw recorded on my motu16a. I first have to say. No effects are used in cubase 8,5. Only a direct signal in (in the interface and directly to cubase. Also in cubase no effects, just an audio lane). What happens is if I hear the sound on the 16a directly via the mixer the volume is harder than when I play it back if I record something. I have to manually boost the recorded signal bij 3db or put a maximizer on the channel in cubase. Why is this? What am I doing wrong? I thought what goes in, and what i hear when listening whats played live via the interface, what goes in is recorded at the same volume. But this isn't happening. Thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention: Faders in 16a mixer are on 0db. Trim is up to level also +/- 0 DB
Cubase Audio channel volume is on 0. Have the same volume if boost it by +/-3db

It is actually 4db.
EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu 16a level recording difference

Post by EMRR »

Not sure I know the answer, but I will say the 16A is not a unity gain device with respect to AD/DA. What goes in comes out a different level....but I don't think that's what you are talking about.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
wim1981

Post by wim1981 »

Yes it sort of what i'm talking about. What I mean is:
Im using the 16a as a mixer/interface. So if i'm playing a synthesizer directly connected via the 16a. The sound will go from my 16a to my monitor speakers. It sounds good, the volume in the mixer from the 16a hits 0db. I record it via cubase. Monitor it back, but the sound sounds weaker and has a volume drop. So in cubase I have to move the fader from 0 to +4 to get somewhat the same sound level. I think that is a lot and I would expect that after playback on the 16a that the same volume would be there in the recorded part.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

It sounds like you have the same hardware path for both recording and playback, so I'd expect it to be the same. If you had an analog loop in the path, you'd experience the difference I mentioned.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
wim1981

Post by wim1981 »

No analog mixer or anything in between. So for example. Moog goes in input 1. Monitor speakers are connected via main mix output 1 and 2. I record my moog in cubase. On the monitor speakers its a good soundlevel when monitoring. As i'm also using samples in cubase this output also goes to main mix output 1 and 2. This is also monitored via output 1 and 2. All seems to sound well. But when i'm recording and play it back the output gear has a volume drop I have to manually fix. (raise the fader of the recorded audio lane to +4. Any of you who know why this is?
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Unity gain settings in the AVB mixer during input monitoring? Confirm you should have unity settings under both conditions. I've no reason to believe you don't, just can't be certain.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
wim1981

Post by wim1981 »

Output in avb mixer is on 0db. Pushing it to the maximum level. Is this what you mean with unity gain? This is my way of mixing as i'm used to an analog desk. I'm going to hookup everything again and make a new project in cubase. Also try to see if levels in avb mixer are alright. Thanks for helping me.
nickbaba

Post by nickbaba »

Hi - this may be off topic, or may prove to be useful... but don't forget 0db on an analogue desk and 0db in a DAW are 2 different things.

On an analogue desk if you have your fader at 0db you still have 24 db headroom before clipping.

In a DAW at 0db you have no more headroom, it's the hard clip limit beyond which your signal cannot go.

So the analogue desk fader 0db point is actually equivalent to a level of -24db on your DAW channel faders.

Does that make sense?

BTW it may be worth checking if you can set your DAW channel faders to "pre-fader metering" - this can sometimes give a truer picture of your input levels into your DAW.
wim1981

Post by wim1981 »

@nickbaba
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try to see whats happening in cubase at the metering inputs. I'll report back as soon as possible.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

every trim and fader everywhere (AVB and Cubase) set to the position marked '0'. Bypass any plugs. Test.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
wim1981

Post by wim1981 »

Will do. Going to try tonight if possible. Thanks for the answer.

I did what you told me. As i'm normally mixing that way nothing happenend. But I did discover something similar. When trimming the input to zero in the avb mixer,in cubase the input is +/- 3 to 4 db higher. It doesnt clip. But it still is weird? Is it something with a setting +4db/-10db? Maybe a setting in cubase?
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Interesting. I can't explain that one. It would appear to be something about Cubase, but I don't know Cubase. I'd look and see if there is any other software gain you are missing, either in Cubase or your overall system.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
wim1981

Post by wim1981 »

Yes it is weird. If nothing works I'll post some pictures of my routing, AVB mixer and cubase inputs. Going to try tonight. Thanks for the answer.