Low signal recording synths

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
ygeorgiou
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Low signal recording synths

Post by ygeorgiou »

Hi all,

Is there a good way to record hardware syths ? I am getting low signal from JD800 - WavestationEX - JD990 - RD600 etc.
I am sending them to MOTU 828mkII (updated drivers)- Logic Pro X.

Sometimes I am using pre amp from a Mackie mixer, but I think is not the best situation.

Do you directly plug your synths in interface or you are using a pre amp ?

Thank you,
Yannis
HCMarkus

Re: Low signal recording synths

Post by HCMarkus »

I have no trouble with plugging synths directly into 828mkII analog ins. You have two places to adjust gain:

1) The synth itself. I set my synths to output +4

2) and, from the 828 manual:
All quarter-inch analog inputs can be individually switched between a +4 and -10dB reference level. An additional 6dB of software boost can be applied via the CueMix Console software application or via the front panel LCD display.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:I have no trouble with plugging synths directly into 828mkII analog ins…
Some older synths like a Hi-Z impedance load like a guitar amp and don't sound very good otherwise. The 828mkII has two built-in DI boxes.

Try plugging into the front panel MIC/GUITAR IN and adjust the TRIM pot. See if that fixes the problem.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ygeorgiou

Post by ygeorgiou »

HCMarkus wrote:I have no trouble with plugging synths directly into 828mkII analog ins. You have two places to adjust gain:

1) The synth itself. I set my synths to output +4

2) and, from the 828 manual:
All quarter-inch analog inputs can be individually switched between a +4 and -10dB reference level. An additional 6dB of software boost can be applied via the CueMix Console software application or via the front panel LCD display.
Thnx HC Markus.
I also set my CueMix to +4 and use CueMixe's Boost. I think there is a strange behaviour. On MOTU my Analog meter leds show 24 (two leds light), BUT my MAIN output leds show 42 (one led lights). How is it possible to have high signal on me interface input and on the output lowest signal ?
Last edited by ygeorgiou on Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ygeorgiou

Post by ygeorgiou »

mikehalloran wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:I have no trouble with plugging synths directly into 828mkII analog ins…
Some older synths like a Hi-Z impedance load like a guitar amp and don't sound very good otherwise. The 828mkII has two built-in DI boxes.

Try plugging into the front panel MIC/GUITAR IN and adjust the TRIM pot. See if that fixes the problem.

Thnx MIKE but this seems to be problem because I am using 8 synths simultaneously. Some of them on a MACKIE CFX 12 mk II and then on MOTU828mkII and some of them direct to MOTU.