MOTU Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid - Drivers ready for El Capitan?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Raymondina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid - Drivers ready for El Capitan?

Post by Raymondina »

Hi,
I use my MOTU Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid together with MainStage on an Macbook Pro 2012 as the most central part of my keyboard live rig on stage. It is VERY important for me that the setup is robust and can be trusted not to have sudden audio drop-outs and so on. My current OSX version is 10.8 "Mountain Lion" and Mainstage is 3.xxx (not latest patches though). I also run Logic 9 recording sessions at home. My setup works, however, I really would like to upgrade Mainstage to the latest version and also upgrade to Logic X.

Logic X and Mainstage 3 (fully updated) require at least OSX 10.9 (Mavericks). However, the MOTU Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid suffers from occational sudden audio drop-out in Mavericks (see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/64 ... 5&tstart=0). I have spend many hours installing Mavericks and Mountain Lion back and forth and I finally came to the conclusion that Mavericks and Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid is not a good combination.

I think that the audio handling has changed a bit in El Capitan so maybe there is a chance that the new MOTU Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid driver is more reliable.

Q1. Do you think is it worth installing El Capitan and test the new drivers or is a wast of time?

Q2. If current drivers are not to be trusted, will MOTU ever release updated robust driver for this device or is it time to look for new interface?

:sorry: for a long post

/Mattias
mikehalloran

Re: MOTU Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid - Drivers ready for El Capitan

Post by mikehalloran »

MOTU has released four sets of drivers for El Cápitan. They're still public beta, however.

Did you try the latest drivers in 10.9? How about OS 10.10?

Are you repairing permissions with each install?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Raymondina

Post by Raymondina »

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried 10.9 with no success. I have not tried 10.10 though.

I always reinstall OSX from the top (no upgrade) so there should be no need to restore permissions I guess.

Which OSX version are you guys using with the MOTU Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid?

/Mattias
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Raymondina wrote:Thanks for your reply.

I have tried 10.9 with no success. I have not tried 10.10 though.

I always reinstall OSX from the top (no upgrade) so there should be no need to restore permissions I guess.
You are guessing incorrectly.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

So you're saying he should still repair permissions?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

With MOTU, it's always a good idea to repair permissions. With DP, it's necessary before OS 10.11.

Guessing that a ground up install of the OS makes permissions repair unnecessary is one of those "what on earth makes you think that?" kind of statements. I'm not interested in the answer.

As it turns out, when you run RP after a Yosemite install, you get many pages of permissions that are repaired.

It's nice to see that RP and s no longer necessary for DP 9 in OS 10.11. I'm not sure if it's Apple or MOTU fixed the issue. Point is it works and that's fine with me. Earlier OS is a different issue.

You can still repair permissions in El Capitán but now it needs to be done in Terminal. I've not seen the need.