MOTU 828 cutting out problem.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Unicorn Sparkles
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU 828 cutting out problem.

Post by Unicorn Sparkles »

Hi there, new to the board. This is my first post :)
I am a singer/ songwriter, and I've been cursed with the onerous task of putting together a project studio on a budget of zero at a community centre. I've done a bit on eBay shopping for stuff.
I bought a MOTU 828, lol, I know it sounds daft, but I started my music degree at Chichester in 2004, and I remember how awesome and foolproof this interface is. My own DAW had a pci M Audio Delta 66, which was an effing nightmare. My college professor swore by unicorn with very good reason.
So, eleven years later, and I've bought a 828 for £80 for my laughable Leopard OSX G5.
Everything's great for two hours, then the unicorn's playing me up by cutting out. I am using the Universal Audio legacy driver. Do you think this is a driver issue, or is it overheating? I've seen a few threads about unicorns ooverheating. I'm going to try it on my own Mac mini, Logic 9, Snow Leopard, and my Windows XP Cubase.
Otherwise, any words of wisdom?
mikehalloran

Re: MOTU 828 cutting out problem.

Post by mikehalloran »

It could have a problem but we don't know enough about your setup. Is this a first generation 828 or later, FireWire or USB? I will assume a 1st gen 828 FW.

For best results, have a direct FireWire connection, do not use a hub. If you have a Thunderbolt Mini, it should work through the Apple TB-FW connector through an 800-400 cable. If a Windows machine, it should have a TI controller chip for the FW port. Never disconnect or reconnect the cable while hot — you can fry a motherboard if the 22V arcs to ground.

Yes, there are reports of 828s having overheating issues and a search will reveal older threads about this. The last of the 828s was made 12 years ago; the last of the 828mkII is over 8 years old now.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Unicorn Sparkles

It's a first generation 828 connected by FireWire to either a core2duo 2007 mac mini, or a G5.
That's why I think it's an over heating problem. It isn't in a rack, just standing on the desk so no sir gets under it. It takes about an hour to start playing up.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Due to the one hour delay, heat in power supply/regulation is a likely cause.

You could try taking the lid off and running a fan on it to see if the cooling air delays the issue.
Unicorn Sparkles

HCMarkus wrote:Due to the one hour delay, heat in power supply/regulation is a likely cause.

You could try taking the lid off and running a fan on it to see if the cooling air delays the issue.
I'm not planning on opening it, maybe just try standing it on something to elevate it and keep it cooler.