Latency for Ultralite AVB in MainStage/Logic?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
andreas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Latency for Ultralite AVB in MainStage/Logic?

Post by andreas »

Hi,

My old workhorse, Ultralite mk3, unfortunately gave in last week and I'm looking for a replacement.

I mainly use the audio interface with MainStage during live performance, taking audio from my external synth into MainStage, add quite a few Software Instruments and send it out to the FOH desk and my own personal in-ear monitoring system as separate mixes.

Therefore low latency and low cpu load are the two most important qualities for the new audio interface.

Can someone with an Ultralite AVB check the latency numbers in MainStage 3 (or Logic x) for an I/O buffer size of 256, 128, 64 and 32 samples. Sample rate 44,1kHz. Preferably on a Macbook Pro 13" retina.

Will it be any difference in latency using USB or AVB connection to the Mac?

Other options I am considering:
RME Babyface Pro
Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre

My local music store unfortunately have nothing in shelf and refuses to bring anything to the store unless I do a prepayment, so therefore I cannot check it out out myself.

Thanks,
Andreas
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Latency for Ultralite AVB in MainStage/Logic?

Post by 4stripes »

All interfaces are going to be about the same. The latency of the interface is negligible compared to that in Mainstage or any other software. It's the CPU/OS/DAW that is the major latency factor.