YOSEMITE AND MOTU MTP AV NOT WORKING NOW PLEASE HELP!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Analogfil
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

YOSEMITE AND MOTU MTP AV NOT WORKING NOW PLEASE HELP!

Post by Analogfil »

Hi everyone, hope somebody can put some light in here...

I'm using MTP AV (2.0.1) on OS X Yosemite to syncronize Logic Pro X with my old 8 Track Tascam tape recorder... The reason I'm using MTP AV, even though I have a brand new MIDI Express XT, is that I'm using his video Sync reference features that I need in order to keep up with a MicroLynx Synchronizer. This is 80s and 90s Profesional technology that studios used to work with for Video and tape machines all together... I've had this unit refurbished for my studio machinery specifications because a studio engineer friend of mine has it in his studio, so I followed his advice and believe me, it works... wherever the tape starts Logic Pro responds like a champion.
I'm not an expert on this but it seems that the video sync reference with SMPTE makes movements tighter and more precise... I've had the opportunity to compare it with the Express XT unit... even though it worked is nothing compared with the precision of the MTP AV...

I've recorded a complete album in both recorders (Tape and Logic) with no issues until I installed Yosemite... Not sure but is the only change that I can think of... now Clockworks doesn't respond... it detects MTP but that is all... No response so Logic won't start when receiving SMPTE commands...
Anybody knows how updates goes for MTP AV and Yosemite? should I start thinking on giving up? I see other people claiming that their units work just fine even with El Capitan but of course they don't use Video Sync Reference...
Last edited by Analogfil on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Analogfil

Re: YOSEMITE AND MTV AV NOT WORKING NOW PLEASE HELP!

Post by Analogfil »

I've read about MTP AV generating new units all the time I turn it on and off in Audio MIDI set up... is happening to me too... Battery problems?
mikehalloran

Re: YOSEMITE AND MTV AV NOT WORKING NOW PLEASE HELP!

Post by mikehalloran »

If the CR2032 battery is a few years old it's never a bad idea to change it.

Have you downloaded the latest MIDI drivers from MOTU? There were new drivers after OS 10.10 was released. You shouldn't need the Beta 4 unless MOTU tells you to.

Have you run Permissions Repair from Disk Utility since you installed Yosemite? Do so.

If nothing else works, post a Tech Link at MOTU Support.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Analogfil

Re: YOSEMITE AND MOTU MTP AV NOT WORKING NOW PLEASE HELP!

Post by Analogfil »

Thank you Mike! I'll follow your advice and will get back here later...

mmmm... for some reason I can't find the update that you refer to... Got It!! ... it took me almost 2 days... I'm a slow guy... but this web it doesn't help...
Analogfil

Post by Analogfil »

Nothing worked.... Just posted a tech link at MOTU support...
Analogfil

Post by Analogfil »

Hi Mike, here's an update of my problem so you know...
I'm still stuck with sync problems but my focus changed to another place thanks to the support I had on MOTUs tech link,,, I did a clean reinstall of MTP AV drivers and I verified that is working correctly with Yosemite... so thank you for your advice.

Even if this is not MOTU subject I'm laying my problem down here if by chance you happen to know about Microlynx synchronizers. I copied here my message to Brian of MOTU tech support link:

Hi Brian,
I sent the SMPTE from the tape recorder track directly to MTP AV bypassing my Microlynx synchronizer and It worked!! MOTU is responding from the beginning. Logic is having some random audio dropouts as happened when I was using MIDI express XT but I'm assuming this is because I'm not using the video reference... Microlynx gets every transport locked to video reference and bypassing it I'm not using this feature... despite the dropouts Logic recovers quiet well although this system is meant to have much better behavior... The whole reason to use MTP AV and Microlynx... dropouts can be very annoying, so for me is not acceptable.
The good news for you is that we can think that MTP AV is not the problem and I'm focusing my efforts on Microlynx... something along the way was changed or may be is been just a loose setting that I inadvertently moved. I'm going through the whole menu and for now nothing seems wrong but this is a pretty sophisticated stuff... more than my knowledge can handle. There are so many parameters to go trough, but I'm going step by step and nothing seems wrong...
What makes me think that is some silly parameter or setting is that every check light or signal verification message on Microlynx says that is ok. Everything connected and locked...
As you probably know, MicroLynx manufacturers went out of business a while ago so there is no support service for this profesional devices. I have to look after some friends that are still using it, so let's see... Anyway Brian, thank you for your support, it's been really helpful. I know this is not in your camp but if you happen to have some advice for me I'd really appreciate it

Again Thank you