All my MIDI interfaces are obsolete, apparently

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

All my MIDI interfaces are obsolete, apparently

Post by Killahurts »

I have a MIDI Time Piece AV, an Express XT, and a Micro Express. They are all old as the hills. They do not look like the new ones with the same names. For example:

Mine:

And the new ones:

I tried to update the firmware in the Express XT, but it isn't seen by the updater, even though it shows to be active in Audio MIDI Setup. It does "work", but not very well. Not all of the control information is transmitted and lots of stuck notes, etc. I can only assume the MTP AV, which is even older, would have the same issues. The Clockworks software works, in that it comes up and shows the interface, but it doesn't do the things it's supposed to do like merge inputs, port to port virtual wiring (shows that it is wired up, but it doesn't actually do it), and of course the stuck/hung notes.

So I guess I need to spend $350 on a new Express XT or whatever, but my question is, going from these dinosaur units to a new one, what else will I get, other than a working unit? I'm trying to build a complex MIDI rig that is an analog MIDI/virtual MIDI hybrid. These old units don't interface well with the other USB only MIDI gear I have, such as the MIDI Expression units I have from Audiofront (USB MIDI only).

And, does anyone even buy cable type MIDI interfaces anymore? If I only have a couple MIDI keyboards I plan to hook up, should I get a high-dollar interface like the XT, or will a $40 M-Audio interface do the same things?

I'm realizing how silly these questions are, but keep in mind that I've been out of the MIDI interface business for a long time, so..I went to Ohio.. but my city was gone. :lol:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mikehalloran

Re: All my MIDI interfaces are obsolete, apparently

Post by mikehalloran »

I have a near perfect micro express parallel/serial port on eBay. Talk about your dinosaurs... Trying to get $25. Wish me luck. Hoping that having the print manual helps it sell.

When was the lat time you changed the CR2032 batteries in your interfaces? Are you running the latest drivers? If your not n El Capitán, you shouldn't need the beta drivers.

Other possibilities include the latest firmware. There's a version history at MOTU.com letting you know what can and can't be updated.

The MTP AV USB, like many of the early USB MIDI interfaces, requires firmware 2.0.1 to work with an Intel Mac — this is burned into the chip set. If yours isn't up to date, those chip sets were discontinued in 2012.

The latest MOTU MIDI interfaces support the latest SMPTE standards. This may, by itself, be reason to upgrade.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

mikehalloran wrote:I have a near perfect micro express parallel/serial port on eBay. Talk about your dinosaurs... Trying to get $25. Wish me luck. Hoping that having the print manual helps it sell.

Yeah good luck.. by the time you put ebay's charge on, and ship, and the time to go ship it.. :wink:
When was the lat time you changed the CR2032 batteries in your interfaces? Are you running the latest drivers? If your not n El Capitán, you shouldn't need the beta drivers.
I did that in the Spring for the XT. I was having the same issues as was in another recent thread here,where it wouldn't remember the settings once turned off. That happened for a couple months before I finally realized it might need a battery! I was working it on a 2011 Macbook Pro in live performances.. worked perfectly after the battery was replaced. I believe that machine was on Mountain Lion at that time. But not working so well on my Mac Pro. I'm not on EC yet, still Yosemite.
Other possibilities include the latest firmware. There's a version history at MOTU.com letting you know what can and can't be updated.
I looked for such a list on the MOTU site and couldn't find it, for some reason..
The MTP AV USB, like many of the early USB MIDI interfaces, requires firmware 2.0.1 to work with an Intel Mac — this is burned into the chip set. If yours isn't up to date, those chip sets were discontinued in 2012.
This is the answer I was looking for! All my interfaces are USB, but there was no new chipset burn in any of them. Guess I'm SOL on getting new firmware into these.
The latest MOTU MIDI interfaces support the latest SMPTE standards. This may, by itself, be reason to upgrade.
Maybe.. well that, and that the interfaces work correctly at all :wink: MOTU doesn't appear to have the MTP AV anymore. I guess the Express XT is now the flagship of their line. I'll see if I can find a manual online before I sink a few hundred, so I can see if it does all of what I need. Just looking at it superficially, seems like it has a lot more features and functions than the others below it, particularly with Clockworks. More features are what I'm interested in the most.

Mike, as usual, thanks for your insight! I just hate updating hardware that used to work before the OS software changed. But there it is. Many years go by here, and I think it's only been a couple! :shock:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Yeah well I have MTPav USB, the original MTP and Fastlane. Nothing like obsolete technology. You have to look really hard in their website to find any info about MTP.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Firmware Change Log - It looks like only the latest versions go the micro express and MIDI Express XT have downloadable updates.

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... echangelog

An older thread dealing with the stuck notes in Yosemite issue:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=59023

MOTU's note on the compatibility issue with Intel Macs. The kit for the MTP AV had two chips, the ROM and another (I would have to open mine to check), the others needed the 2.0.1 ROM only.

"This ROM update allows certain older MOTU USB MIDI interfaces to operate successfully with PCs or Macs with Intel Processors.

If you are using the Micro Lite or Express 128, or a MIDI Express XT or Micro Express with removable rack ears, your interface already has this latest ROM version and you do not need to purchase this ROM update.

If you have another MOTU MIDI interface model, check the printed label on the bottom of the unit. If "M/W" is printed on the label, then your interface already has this latest ROM version and you do not need to purchase this ROM update.

If the label does NOT have "M/W" printed on it, then you need this ROM update to successfully operate your interface with an Intel PC or Mac."
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm lucky I guess. I'm using a USB MTP/AV but I have the Intel compatible ROM. I also have an old MTP I attached to the MTP/AV via the serial port and it works fine this way also. I'm on El Cap with the latest beta driver.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

James Steele wrote:I'm lucky I guess. I'm using a USB MTP/AV but I have the Intel compatible ROM. I also have an old MTP I attached to the MTP/AV via the serial port and it works fine this way also. I'm on El Cap with the latest beta driver.
Same here. I'm down to only using 2 sets of ports (from a previous high of "all of them") at this point, but it still works great under 10.11.1.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

James Steele wrote:I'm lucky I guess. I'm using a USB MTP/AV but I have the Intel compatible ROM. I also have an old MTP I attached to the MTP/AV via the serial port and it works fine this way also. I'm on El Cap with the latest beta driver.
Wow, you are lucky! None of mine have the new Chips, so I'm SOL on that trick.. and obviously there are no serial ports on the new Express XT. Matter of fact, it has a very minimal amount of I/O. It's all done in Clockworks/computer now, and I don't really have a way of trying that software out, without buying a new interface..

It would be great if one of you gentlemen could tell me: In Clockworks (with the Express XT), which is where the merging of ports can be set up, is it possible to merge any other USB (only) MIDI gear with the 8 ports? For example, I need to merge my MIDI Expression interfaces outputs with my Keyboard controller, as per this thread:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=60663

Or, can it only route and merge its own 8x8 external MIDI cables?

I still need a working hardware interface for some keyboards/modules, so I'll likely have to purchase one anyway. But if the Express XT's merge/routing doesn't work as I described above, there's no point in spending the $ on that when I could get one of the lesser interfaces substantially cheaper.

Thanks for the help guys, and Mike thanks for the link to the firmware logs!

That sinking feeling, when you realize that you are designing/building a complex system that doesn't really exist as a complete purchased solution, and you have to do the research from scratch and build it in pieces, or compromise on the vision. :wink:
rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

At this point, maybe just get a Fastlane for your main keyboard controller, spend the rest of the new MIDI interface money on Mach Five or other sampling software and call it a day...
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

My main keyboard controller is USB :wink:

And.. I already have MachFive, will be running many instances in my rig!!

I will likely get the Express XT just because I have to have a reliable MIDI interface for my hybrid setup, and I figure why not have the best (I'm determining right now if it IS the best).