Help with 1248/24ai system please

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
sonolink
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Help with 1248/24ai system please

Post by sonolink »

Hello all

Thanks for this wonderful forum. Although I've been using MOTU for nearly 15 years now I've never needed help with my devices. I'm a MOTU fan, I have 3x 2408, 1x 896, and an Ultralite mk3 unit and never had to worry about anything else than enjoying working with them.

A few weeks ago I finished building a studio for a customer and chose to install a MOTU 1248 and a 24ai as the main sound system. Everything sounds great and as usual the software and sound quality is awesome and I'm glad I trusted MOTU again. My customer is delighted but I'm missing a couple of things.

So I have a couple of questions I cannot seem to solve and would be very grateful for hints and/or suggestions/solutions.

The studio works with Pro Tools 10. My idea was to configure the 1248 as the main unit and add the 24ai as an input extension. Since the 1248 has ADATs for now I'd leave the 24ai ADAT system out. I've connected the 1248 through USB to the Mac Pro and the 24ai through an Cat5 cable to the 1248.

I want to use the 24ai inputs to receive outboard preamp line outs and mix everything on the virtual mixer while recording in ProTools. I've loaded the "Live Monitoring and Mixing" Preset on the 1248 and the "input expander" on the 24ai.

Everything on the 1248 is working fine. To find the 24ai inputs on the virtual mixer I've enabled 3x AVB Streams and cvonnected them to 24:1, 24:2 and 24:3 (or called something like that).

BUT although I can SEE the input signals on the 24ai mixer input channels and the 24ai Main Out channel I CANNOT hear them through the Main Mix outputs.I can SEE them also on the 1248 mixer. It's weird because when I click on each device it seems like they are separate devices and I understood after reading the manual that when connected they operate seemlessly as one...

Any ideas/suggestions please?

Another question I have is related to monitoring different outputs. With Cuemix I could listen to an Aux, the Main Mix or whatever in the Control Room. How can I do that with the AVB units?

Thanks a lot for your help and time
Cheers
Sono