Turn off the Sync Port on MIDI Express XT

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
slee
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Turn off the Sync Port on MIDI Express XT

Post by slee »

I see a constant stream of sysex coming from the Sync Port no matter what is happening and I think it is interfering with some synth sysex editors, is there a way to turn it off?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Turn off the Sync Port on MIDI Express XT

Post by mikehalloran »

If no one know, you might want to post a Tech Link at MOTU Support. They answered some questions about my 16 year old micro express a couple of weeks ago – very helpful.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
deadwing

Post by deadwing »

As no one replied to this and indeed it can create problems with other sysex editors (and also for syncing), I had the same question, asked Techlink without any good reply, and then I realised myself the solution (in my case for the USB version of the XT).

It only happens when/if the Clockworks app is open...as soon as you close it, those messages stop.

So the solution is to do whatever you need to do in terms of configuration, save it to the interface, and then close the Clockworks app.

Sync Port messages stop. The sync port/MTC is an internal one, is not possible to disconnect it from computer as a routing, is not possible to mute it either, but closing the Clockworks app seems to kind of switch it off (makes sense).
rimeroni

Post by rimeroni »

Hi,
This used to be the case for me as well, but after upgrading to Catalina ( : :smash: ),
the sysex is constantly dripping in from my MIDI express XT's sync port via USB, whether clockworks is running or not. Very annoying.
Can anyone confirm or remedy this?
firmware 2.0.1, USB 1.32, MIDI drivers v1.6.82544 | Oct. 22, 2019.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

My MTP/AV does this sometimes, mostly related to Clockworks. Same issue, don't want it messing with SysEx from and to an editor. My solution is brute force, turn the unit on and off again.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
rimeroni

Post by rimeroni »

Ah yes, turning it off and on again doesn't help, de sysex continues when turned on.
Also tried resetting the unit but to no avail.

Perhaps I should make this into a seperate topic, I don't want to turn off the sync port necessarily, but to get it to stop sending out the constant sysex messages.

Or get in touch with motu tech support, if they still support this old unit?
Michael Canavan

rimeroni wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:37 am Ah yes, turning it off and on again doesn't help, de sysex continues when turned on.
Also tried resetting the unit but to no avail.

Perhaps I should make this into a seperate topic, I don't want to turn off the sync port necessarily, but to get it to stop sending out the constant sysex messages.

Or get in touch with motu tech support, if they still support this old unit?
Bringing this back up because I bothered to call tech support over this. I had the same issue, to reset the MTP/AV you turn the unit off then turn it on holding down the Panic button until the screen shows the settings etc. This fixed the constant stream of sync messages. :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
rimeroni

Post by rimeroni »

Only seeing this just now, because my old unit started acting up again. but great that works! :dance:
Michael Canavan wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:18 pm Bringing this back up because I bothered to call tech support over this. I had the same issue, to reset the MTP/AV you turn the unit off then turn it on holding down the Panic button until the screen shows the settings etc. This fixed the constant stream of sync messages. :headbang:
prephylve

Post by prephylve »

I tried the suggestion of power cycling while holding the panic button but it completely shuts off any routing which defeats the purpose.
For the MTPAV the solution is the following:

*On the front panel navigate to the "Sync" window which is 4 pages from "Base-Setup"
*Now "Cursor" 6 pages to "SMPTE Destination"
Make sure all Cables are set to "N" or No by pressing the "Yes/No" button.

Kills the sysex string that's constantly farting out of the MTPAV. Hope this helps.
Robotron2084

Post by Robotron2084 »

This is a great tip thanks! I have yet to try it but this issue has been messing up my sysex dumps too – I was resorting to recording and manually editing to remove the MTP entries – works but aargh. In the sysex recordings I made – they seemed to load sometimes – was hoping I was doing something wrong

I'll aim to confirm it worked as a soon as I test. Thanks again!
MOTU MTP AV USB
MOTU Ultralite Hybrid Mk3
Mac OSX
Robotron2084

Post by Robotron2084 »

Ok I'm very happy to report that this manual fix using the LCD panel works and stops the endless drip of synch messages. Thanks again for the great tip!
MOTU MTP AV USB
MOTU Ultralite Hybrid Mk3
Mac OSX
Michael Canavan

Just to be clear for people. The manual fix using the LCD panel does not work for my sync issue, I have to use the method prescribed by MOTU tech support. So use the method that works.
discodamon

Post by discodamon »

prephylve wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:29 pm For the MTPAV the solution is the following:

*On the front panel navigate to the "Sync" window which is 4 pages from "Base-Setup"

Kills the sysex string that's constantly farting out of the MTPAV. Hope this helps.
Thank you SO MUCH for this solution! This saved me from ripping all my hair out!

For anyone reading in the far flung future -- I have an USB MTP AV chained to a parallel MTP AV through the Net Port, running Clockworks on my dual boot Mac (Monterey and Windows 10). Setup still works great on both platforms.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

discodamon wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:59 pm
prephylve wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:29 pm For the MTPAV the solution is the following:

Thank you SO MUCH for this solution! This saved me from ripping all my hair out!

For anyone reading in the far flung future -- I have an USB MTP AV chained to a parallel MTP AV through the Net Port, running Clockworks on my dual boot Mac (Monterey and Windows 10). Setup still works great on both platforms.
Indeed that's a good one. This was driving me crazy with my old MTP/AV. Haven't tried this yet, but filing this away as I will probably add the MTP/AV back into my system at some point.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!