Ultralite AVB Channel Names

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
fmullermotu
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ultralite AVB Channel Names

Post by fmullermotu »

Anyone having an issue with getting the channel names from the Ultralite AVB exposed to Core Audio/DP, etc? When I look at the interface through the Motu Discovery App, I can see and change channel names. When I look at it from Audio/MIDI Setup or DP, all the channel names are Audio 1,2,3,4,etc. They don't even default like Mic1, Guitar 1, etc. I opened a tech link and Motu (so far) has stated that the issue is caused by an Apple USB driver. However, when I connect an 828 mk3 via usb to the same computer without making any changes, I can revise channel names and they do show up in DP, etc. Running Yosemite 10.10.5.

Would appreciate any help!
EMRR

Re: Ultralite AVB Channel Names

Post by EMRR »

It's not totally right with TB connection either. I have multiple channels that show up in DP named
'multiple destination' even though they aren't.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
fmullermotu

Post by fmullermotu »

Are you saying you have the same/similar issue with a TB connected device? The Ultralite AVB does not have TB, only USB.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Yes, other AVB MOTU devices, 16A and Monitor 8. Same principles at work, AVB browser talking to DP.

Apple USB driver seems like a red herring to me.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
fmullermotu

Enhancement Request: Ultralite AVB Channel Names

Post by fmullermotu »

I submitted an enhancement request to address the Ultralite Channel names issue to MOTU. I have provided a copy below. Was hoping that if any of you are using the Ultralite AVB, have the same issue, that you might take the opportunity to let MOTU know that you would support the request. MOTU likely receives more requests that they can handle and gaining additional support may allow them to prioritize consideration of the request beyond me as a single user!

Thanks!!!

*****Enhancement request posted below*****

Enhancement Request: Support Channel Names for USB connected AVB Devices.

I recently purchased an Ultralite AVB and discovered that I am unable to expose Channel Names to CoreAudio and as a result, to DP, etc. The default interface names such as “Mic 1, Guitar 1, Main Out” etc. are not provided, the only Channel Names exposed are default names of Audio 1,2,3, etc. Additional MOTU devices I own including several vintages of 828Mk3 and 8M all support Channel Names. Channel Names are an important feature for studio or live use, especially when utilizing the full range of I/O these devices support. More importantly, when multiple devices are used together in a more comprehensive arrangement, Channel Names are an important mechanism to manage multiple I/O channels across multiple devices.

I opened TechLink “MTL 100268 — Ultralite AVB Channel Names not Exposed to Core Audio” assuming this issue may be a device, driver or OSx environment issue. Tech Support stated that the USB connection “uses Apple's USB driver, which doesn't support this feature [channel names]” and that “all AVB units will use Apple's class compliant driver when using USB to provide a basic plug and play option”. Tech Support proposed a workaround for DP, using bundle names. This workaround is not effective as the process would have to be repeated for each DP project. Further, it does not address the use of Channel Names by any other relevant software that could be used to access this device.

In researching Apple’s Developer site regarding “AppleUSBAudio” Apple states they “support the Audio Cluster Descriptors as described in section 3.7.2.3 “Audio Channel Cluster Format” of the USB Audio 1.0 specification and section 4.1 “Audio Channel Cluster Descriptor” in the USB Audio 2.0 specification.” This data suggest that the Apple USB drive does support the use of Channel Names, contrary to MOTU’s Tech Support statement that the Apple USB driver does not support this capability.

This enhancement would restore basic functionality to this and any other devices that Motu releases that offer USB connectivity, and would appear to remain within the scope of Apple’s USB Audio support. Lack of Channel Names support is a surprising gap in this device which is otherwise a great step forward in development of rich hardware/software audio devices.

I would be happy to discuss further, and/or to assist in the testing of any revised drivers MOTU decides to produce or to test other proposed workarounds that there may be to restore this critical capability.

MOTU makes outstanding products. Thanks for the opportunity to submit this request.