Ultralite AVB - various issues

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
enparticular
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ultralite AVB - various issues

Post by enparticular »

Hello, first post here, trying to contact motu support with no luck.
I have a Macbook Pro Retina early 2015, with a Motu Ultralite AVB purchased as a b-stock from sweetwater. I'm having the following problems so far:
- Random distorted signal and crackles. These sound very 'digital' and they come both from the output of the monitors * and * the headphones output. This happens for a few seconds and then they dissapear. Very annoying.
- Random disconnects and 'can't access device' screens when trying to modify levels or routing in the avb. This didn't happenned BEFORE my latest firmware update (i'm using version 1.2.3+173)
- This is all via connecting via USB. Using ethernet via thunderbolt connection is even more dodgy, and sometimes the audio in Logic Pro X stops sounding and i need to restart it. After some days, i went back to using only USB.

Audio recording quality and output is ok, but the other problems are very annoying.
Anybody?
Thanks,

Ezequiel
Last edited by enparticular on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkey man

Re: Ultralite AVB - various issues

Post by monkey man »

So the intermittent crackly sounds are the only issue left after the FW update, and they "go away"?

Sounds like there's only this one issue left then?

Sorry, but I have no solution; just trying to clarify as your post painted a situation where you're experiencing multiple issues.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
enparticular

Post by enparticular »

monkey man wrote:So the intermittent crackly sounds are the only issue left after the FW update, and they "go away"?

Sounds like there's only this one issue left then?

Sorry, but I have no solution; just trying to clarify as your post painted a situation where you're experiencing multiple issues.
sorry, wrote incorrectly my post. the errors appeared both after and before the software update. the new problem with the new firmware is dodgy usb detection, lots of 'can't access device' issues, etc.
nick danger
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by nick danger »

If your OS is El Capitan, (10.11) you need the latest usb driver, which MOTU just posted on their site. It's a beta version.
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel core 2 duo, 8 gb ram running 10.11.6; 17" Macbook Pro 8,3, 2.5 GHz Core I7, 16 GB ram running 10.13.6; DP 8.07; 8pre-es; 828mkII; 828mkI; microbook II, Behringer ADA8000, Black Lion Auteur 2-Ch. Pre-Amp
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

As there was no mention of which OS was being run, your suggestion may be just the ticket, Nick. Well done mate.

I'm curious to see what happens here as I'm still slowly paying off my lay-buy of the AVB system; the ditching-PCI-424-for-USB2 jitters still haven't subsided I'm afraid...

enparticular

Post by enparticular »

No, i'm using Yosemite actually.
I'm talking with customer service right now, and trying various solutions, as so far nothing's working. If i have something new i will post it here.
Transit161

Post by Transit161 »

Have you tried installing the latest driver? I'm on El Capitan with a Ultralite AVB and I was experiencing the same problem over USB, crackles for a couple seconds every half hour or so. I was experiencing this on Yosemite as well. I believe it started when I updated the Ultralite firmware a month or so ago. I thought I had fixed it by switching USB cables, which did seem to have made a difference, but the problem did return. I updated to the latest driver last night and it *seems* to be running smoothly. I'll let you (and MOTU) know if it returns.

Dan
Transit161

Post by Transit161 »

Nevermind,

Still broken.

Dan
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Oh man.

You know, the more I hear this sort of thing the more tempted I am to cancel my order and ask for the money I've already plunked down back. Not sure if it's even possible as the wholesaler might have placed and received the order already, and he's the one I'm paying.

It's either this AVB system via USB2 or I wait for a development in the MOTU camp that instils more confidence in me as far as my Mac tower is concerned. The tower has to stay.

What to do? I'll continue to monitor others' progress. Keep us informed, please peeps.

razmandi

Post by razmandi »

hi! i dont mean to bump an old thread but i'm having these exact same issues

i'm on all the current drivers

ableton live 9.7.2 64-bit
mac os x 10.10.5
motu avb drivers 4.0+72216

and still having issues with this machine.

can anyone shed any light on this?