El Capitan 10:11 & MOTU's 2408 MK3 Audio Device

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

El Capitan 10:11 & MOTU's 2408 MK3 Audio Device

Post by zuul-studios »

Hello -

I'm joining many others and waiting until all audio/video software and hardware are compatible with Apple's latest OS.

One of the things that I'm doing is visiting various developers' web-sites to see if or when their products have been updated to work with 10:11. Of course, MOTU's web-site is one of them.

In reading posts here and other places, I know that MOTU is "working closely with Apple" to update their products to work with El Capitan. Apparently, MOTU has confirmed that their newer audio devices work with the new OS. This is good to read. MOTU does seem to take care of their customers.

For good or for bad, I have my really zippy and happy refurbished "2009/2010 Mac Pro" hooked up with MOTU's 2408 MK3 audio device(s). At present, I have no plans on purchasing any newer computer (for at least the next 2 to 3 years). It is a wonderful set-up! My set-up is quite stable for my modest audio and video sequencing/recording/editing needs. Thankfully, the 2408 MK3 plays a big part in making my set-up stable!

But time marches on and so do the Operating Systems as they are upgraded to (hopefully) create more stable systems with improved functionality. So. . . Yes! I hope to eventually upgrade to El Capitan, especially if Apple made improvements in how it deals with audio and MIDI. Unfortunately, the 2408 MK3 is (more or less) a legacy device. At the very least, it seems that MOTU isn't manufacturing this PCIe-based audio device anymore.

I can not find anywhere on MOTU's web-site if they plan on updating the software so that the 2408 MK3 (and their other PCIe-based devices) can work with El Capitan. I don't even know if it can be updated. Might anyone here have any insight to this? Anyone here know if/when MOTU will update the software so that audio devices like the 2408 MK3 can work with El Capitan??

Or. . . Should I learn to accept that my zippy & happy refurbished "2009/2010 Mac Pro" will always be running under Yosemite??

:?:

Thank you for any in-sight that is shared. . .
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: El Capitan 10:11 & MOTU's 2408 MK3 Audio Device

Post by James Steele »

zuul-studios wrote:I can not find anywhere on MOTU's web-site if they plan on updating the software so that the 2408 MK3 (and their other PCIe-based devices) can work with El Capitan. I don't even know if it can be updated. Might anyone here have any insight to this? Anyone here know if/when MOTU will update the software so that audio devices like the 2408 MK3 can work with El Capitan??
I'm using a PCIe-based system as you can tell from my sig. I know it's risky making assumptions, but I think there's no problem with those systems. Apparently it seems to be an issue with the non-AVB interfaces (both audio and MIDI) that are connected via USB. It seems to be a USB issue. I'm holding back because I sometimes use my USB MTP/AV and those drivers need to be updated.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!