El Capitan 10.11 upgrade - Ultralite USB - No Sound

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
yoseph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

El Capitan 10.11 upgrade - Ultralite USB - No Sound

Post by yoseph »

Hi all..I just updated to El Capitan because I read on MOTU's site that the existing driver should work. :lol:

It turns out that I'm one of the rare few who can't get this to work. I have an Ultralite Mk3 hooked up through USB to my Macbook Pro 15' Retina, Mid 2015.

The OS detects the hardware because it auto launches MOTU Audio Setup. I double checked in System Preferences that the Ultralite is selected under Sound output.

I tried to download and re-install the driver, but that didn't help either. I've tried running sound out of iTunes, Spotify, and Ableton Live to no Avail. No system sounds play through the MOTU either.. Absolutely no sound whatsoever.

Anyone experiencing something similar? Anyone have any idea what I could do to fix this?

Thanks!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: El Capitan 10.11 upgrade - Ultralite USB - No Sound

Post by James Steele »

There's another post in another thread about this. Not sure where you saw that existing drivers work. MOTU actually posted that pretty much any of the audio and MIDI interfaces using USB (except the newer AVB capable interfaces) won't work. The ones that have other connectivity options like Firewire or Thunderbolt will work that way, just not via USB for now.

Here's the pertinent info quoted from this page: http://www.motu.com/newsitems/motu-and- ... term=10.11
USB-equipped MOTU audio and MIDI interfaces listed below are currently incompatible with OS X El Capitan. MOTU is working on driver updates that will be available soon at motu.com/download. In the meantime, if your MOTU interface offers FireWire or Thunderbolt connectivity, you can use FireWire or Thunderbolt instead of USB for connectivity to OS X El Capitan. However, if you require USB connectivity to El Capitan, we strongly recommend that you do not upgrade until MOTU driver updates become available.

Audio Interfaces:

828x
Track 16
MicroBook II
8pre USB
4pre
Audio Express
UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid
896mk3 Hybrid
828mk3 Hybrid
Legacy MOTU USB audio interfaces

MIDI Interfaces:

MIDI Express XT
MIDI Express 128
micro express
micro lite
FastLane
Legacy MOTU USB MIDI interfaces
If you have any questions, please contact MOTU customer service or technical support.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
yoseph

Post by yoseph »

Ah. That would explain it. Thank you.. guess I'm out of luck as ultralite mk3 doesn't have thunderbolt, and my new mac doesn't have firewire.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

yoseph wrote:Ah. That would explain it. Thank you.. guess I'm out of luck as ultralite mk3 doesn't have thunderbolt, and my new mac doesn't have firewire.
For now, we hope. MOTU did write, we strongly recommend that you do not upgrade until MOTU driver updates become available.

They're generally pretty good about these things.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

yoseph wrote:Ah. That would explain it. Thank you.. guess I'm out of luck as ultralite mk3 doesn't have thunderbolt, and my new mac doesn't have firewire.
I agree with Mike. MOTU is pretty good about drivers. It wouldn't surprise me if they have them out soon. If not this week, before next week is over. That's just a guess.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
yoseph

Post by yoseph »

Really appreciate the help guys. I'm not too concerned about it. I still got my headphones.
yoseph

Post by yoseph »

Hey guys... i just noticed they MOTU has posted a beta driver for those with this issue. You can find the link half-way down their El Capitan compatibility page. http://www.motu.com/newsitems/motu-and-os-x-el-capitan
2leftears

Post by 2leftears »

I have been without MIDI for a day or two due to El Cap. I loaded up the beta driver this morning to get my Express XT to pass along MIDI. No go. I then plugged it into a USB 3 port on my Mac Pro. It works. Kinda. Better than nothing. Waiting for the revised drivers.
Scatz

Post by Scatz »

Does anyone know when the revised drivers for USB will be available? It's been over a month since the Beta Drivers were released and my 8Pre USB occasionally stops sending audio out after about 20 minutes of use. (Happened at a gig the other night - was using DP to play backing tracks and Video) Might have to re-install Yosemite!
Unless USB can't handle Video and 5 or 6 tracks of audio!!
DP11, MacBook Pro 12.0, 16 Gig Ram, Motu 828MKll FW, 8Pre USB, 2 x 8Pre FW, Motu Micro Lite,
Lexicon, Yamaha, Mackie, dbx, Roland TD20 etc, etc.......
http://www.groovewerx.com www.oneuglycowboy.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Audio USB public beta driver download for 10.11 - Beta 4 (November 4, 2015)

http://www.motu.com/download
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
malmc01

Post by malmc01 »

Just got my Motu 828x, with a new MacBook Pro with El Capitan X, and the USB doesn't work. Did they ever publish a viable driver or are we still waiting?

Thanks!