El Capitan 10.11 crashing Audio MIDI setup and DP 9.01

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
unlined4string
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

El Capitan 10.11 crashing Audio MIDI setup and DP 9.01

Post by unlined4string »

Just installed ElCapitan OS X 10.11. Opening either Audio MIDI Setup or DP 9.01 results in an immediate crash requiring a force quit to escape. My audio interface is working for iTunes, etc., but MIDI is dead in the water. Anyone else having this issue?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: El Capitan 10.11 crashing Audio MIDI setup and DP 9.01

Post by James Steele »

unlined4string wrote:Just installed ElCapitan OS X 10.11. Opening either Audio MIDI Setup or DP 9.01 results in an immediate crash requiring a force quit to escape. My audio interface is working for iTunes, etc., but MIDI is dead in the water. Anyone else having this issue?
Did you contact MOTU to see if they recommended installing El Capitan? Probably not, huh? :( Just be forewarned, you may get some responses asking why you dove in. Many plug developers have warned against it, so many people are holding back until MOTU and other developers give the official okay on that.

That said, it might be helpful what audio interface you are using? It may be that the drivers for that are causing a problem? Perhaps it is the MIDI drivers? Either way, letting us know what audio/MIDI interface(s) you're using will help. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
unlined4string

Post by unlined4string »

Update: If you have any of the devices listed below, strongly advise not installing El Capitan. (Following copied from http://www.motu.com/newsitems/motu-and- ... term=10.11 )

Apple released OS X® El Capitan (version 10.11) this week. MOTU has worked with Apple to ensure current MOTU products are compatible with OS X El Capitan, and to provide a smooth transition for your MOTU products when you upgrade to OS X El Capitan.

Current versions of all MOTU software products and most hardware drivers available at motu.com/download (latest versions) appear to be compatible with El Capitan, although final compatibility testing is still on-going. Please make note, however, of the USB compatibility warning below.

In some cases, MOTU software updates may be available soon to achieve 100% compatibility. Check motu.com frequently for further announcements in the near future.

Attention MOTU USB audio and MIDI interface users
If you have a MOTU audio interface with USB connectivity, or a MOTU MIDI interface, please check below for OS X El Capitan compatibility.

All MOTU AVB-equipped interfaces are fully compatible with OS X El Capitan, using Thunderbolt, USB and AVB Ethernet. This includes:

8M
16A
24Ai
24Ao
Monitor 8
112D
Stage-B16
UltraLite AVB
USB-equipped MOTU audio and MIDI interfaces listed below are currently incompatible with OS X El Capitan. MOTU is working on driver updates that will be available soon at motu.com/download. In the meantime, if your MOTU interface offers FireWire or Thunderbolt connectivity, you can use FireWire or Thunderbolt instead of USB for connectivity to OS X El Capitan. However, if you require USB connectivity to El Capitan, we strongly recommend that you do not upgrade until MOTU driver updates become available.

Audio Interfaces:

828x
Track 16
MicroBook II
8pre USB
4pre
Audio Express
UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid
896mk3 Hybrid
828mk3 Hybrid
Legacy MOTU USB audio interfaces

MIDI Interfaces:

MIDI Express XT
MIDI Express 128
micro express
micro lite
FastLane
Legacy MOTU USB MIDI interfaces
If you have any questions, please contact MOTU customer service or technical support.
unlined4string

Post by unlined4string »

Reply to admin post: I did check the MOTU site earlier today for compatibility. The post copied above was not there at the time. The interface is a USB MIDI TimePieceAV. Drivers are current versions. I can recover with a restore, just trying to help others avoid this.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

unlined4string wrote:Reply to admin post: I did check the MOTU site earlier today for compatibility. The post copied above was not there at the time. The interface is a USB MIDI TimePieceAV. Drivers are current versions. I can recover with a restore, just trying to help others avoid this.
Appreciated. El Capitan has been out just a day, yes? Always a good idea to hold back till the manufacturer gives the go-ahead. I also have a USB MIDI TimePiece AV. I was tempted to do the update as some people are reporting that their plugs are working fine, but they're likely not factoring in external MIDI devices.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rixax@vex.net

Post by rixax@vex.net »

Gotta be the plugins. :| Isn't there a way to start DP in stripped down mode?
Rick Sacks
Toronto
rixax@rixax.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

rixax@vex.net wrote:Gotta be the plugins....
No it doesn't. AudioMidi Setup means that an interface is involved. No USB interface that requires drivers has announced compatibility yet.

Otoh, OS 10.11 moves many non-compliant files to a folder where the app can't access them. Any plugs that incongruous with the Apple Toolkit will no longer work and could crash DP, I suppose.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/os ... -review/1/

The easiest way to disable them is to go to Library/Audio/Plugins and remove any suspected plugs from the Components, MAS and VST folders. You can put them back one at a time to isolate the problem if there is one.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
rixax@vex.net

Post by rixax@vex.net »

Yep, MIDI - my MIDI timepiece AV crashes the audio MIDI.
Also booting with cinema display.
Once DP does not respond, unplugging the cinema display, pulling a bunch of folders out of library/audio/plugins brings DP back on my stand alone macbook pro. Then I can quit DP and put all those folders back and it restarts.

Then I can actually, with DP running, plug the cinema display back in.

No pressing projects. Going on tour with a drum kit, glockenspiel and vibraphone so I'll wait a week before going back to 10.10.
Rick Sacks
Toronto
rixax@rixax.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

What a freaking disaster this release is for musicians. Worse than Lion, and that's saying something.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rixax@vex.net

Post by rixax@vex.net »

All working now that I switched to the MIDI port on the 8pre. Probably trade in the MTPAV for a 5 port micro-lite though in Canada the store (Long and McQuade) says there is a hold on the shipping of that product until further notice.

May trade in the 8pre and MTP for an 8m _ micro lite.

MIDI Gear - MalletKat Pro, numanano 88 key controller, Mackie Control Surface - Roland V-Drums
Samplers - Kontakt, Mach V, PLAY
2.6 ghz 4 core Macbook Pro 16 gig ram
Rick Sacks
Toronto
rixax@rixax.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

rixax@vex.net wrote:All working now that I switched to the MIDI port on the 8pre. Probably trade in the MTPAV for a 5 port micro-lite though in Canada the store (Long and McQuade) says there is a hold on the shipping of that product until further notice.

MIDI Gear - MalletKat Pro, numanano 88 key controller, Mackie Control Surface - Roland V-Drums
Moog claims to have them.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:What a freaking disaster this release is for musicians. Worse than Lion, and that's saying something.
Yes, Lion was bad but worse than 10.3, 10.4 or 10.5? Each of those were major, expensive drains on the pocketbook as paid upgrades were necessary for many apps to work -- after you paid $99-$129 for the OS. I finally said 'hell no!' to BIAS after paying $700 each for 10.2 & 10.3 compatability, then finding that nothing worked in 10.4.

MOTU and Microsoft were fairly benign during those years. Even with Finale, I could keep upgrades down to every other year.

I certainly have issues with Apple's relentless marketing of free OS updates. Frankly, they should be shouting that users -- especially users who make their livings with their Macs like you, I and many here -- should check that their 3rd party apps and hardware are going to work. You and many others are doing due diligence as you must. So did I.

I was confident that, except for Finale, everything else I do would work. I forgot to check on my MOTU interfaces but I'll be ok with one and the other hasn't been used in three years. Had I not been reassured that the latest version of Dragon Dictate 5, an essential tool for the book I'm writing, was compatible, I would have waited till it was. My Finale workaround is to boot from another drive, an inconvenience only. I need DD5 working on my main drive.

I turned Time Machine off before I updated and won't turn it back on till I've finished testing. If I find that 10.11 was really a bad idea for me, I'll de-authorize Final Draft and Masterwriter then restore my system. There's also a clone I did on Tuesday plus my older system and VI drives last used two weeks ago. I consider myself prudently paranoid in these matters.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

rixax@vex.net wrote:All working now that I switched to the MIDI port on the 8pre. Probably trade in the MTPAV for a 5 port micro-lite though in Canada the store (Long and McQuade) says there is a hold on the shipping of that product until further notice.

Good. The 8pre is FW.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for MOTU and others to come up with USB drivers. Core Audio does not have support for multi-channel through USB -- this is why drivers are necessary.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Core Audio does not have support for multi-channel through USB -- this is why drivers are necessary.
Please explain. I recently replaced my 828-3 with a Scarlett 18i8. It has no drivers for Macs -- Focusrite lists it as class compliant. (They've OK'd all their stuff for 10.11)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

rixax@vex.net wrote:Also booting with cinema display.
Once DP does not respond, unplugging the cinema display, pulling a bunch of folders out of library/audio/plugins brings DP back on my stand alone macbook pro. Then I can quit DP and put all those folders back and it restarts.

Then I can actually, with DP running, plug the cinema display back in.
Weird. I had to go back and look at your setup. Perhaps that's something with MacBooks then? I run two older style DVI cinema displays: a 30 inch and a 24 inch on my MacPro 5.1. Doesn't sound like this affects tower style Macs.