2 x FW connected 828Mk2 not showing and crashing Mac

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jauqq
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

2 x FW connected 828Mk2 not showing and crashing Mac

Post by jauqq »

Im having problems with two Motu 828Mk2 which are connected to each other via Firewire. When I connect them to my MacBook Pro and I try to open Motu audio setup, or Apple Audio MIDI setup, these both take an age to open, and when they finally do neither 828Mk2 is displayed. I then have to force quit these applications, and from that point on the Mac is very slow, internet will not work in Safari, etc forcing a re-start.

However when I try each 828Mk2 connected individually to the MBP, they connect perfectly and I can open audio setup etc and they show in the window dialogue.

Its as soon as I make the firewire connection between the two 828's that the MBP becomes unresponsive.

Im trying to set them up as an aggregate device in OSX audio utility, but I can not even get that far!

OSX 10.9.5
MOTU Audio Installer 1.6.64254
jauqq
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: 2 x FW connected 828Mk2 not showing and crashing Mac

Post by jauqq »

Seem to have resolved this....
With the two "Firewire + word clocked" daisy chained 828Mk2's and MBP both powered down, I made the firewire connection between the two. I then switched on the 828's, allowed them to boot and then the MacBook Pro.

With both booted up, I was then able to open MOTU audio set-up with both 828's showing in individual tabs, and also any other audio application, DAW.

I set the first 828 to clock source "internal", the second one's clock to "MOTU 828mk2 #1".

Now with the computer switched on, and the 828's powered down, I make the firewire cable connection between the two, and then power on the MOTU's, everything works fine. When finished, I power down the MOTU's and unplug the firewire cable from the switched on MBP.

I can hot plug individual 828 to my MacBook Pro, but not the two daisy chained units for some reason.

But this computer switched on, MOTU's off, make Firewire cable connection, and then power on the MOTU's seems to have solved the previous posts issues.