MOTU MK3 setup including hardware and ableton live

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Rutgeranton
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU MK3 setup including hardware and ableton live

Post by Rutgeranton »

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Motu ultralite mk3 hybrid. I have borrowed one before, tested it for a few days and now decided to buy one. But for some reason I cant seem to set it up the way I want to.
I am on max os, have a few synths etc and use Ableton as my DAW.

This is how i would like to set it up:

Have my hardware as individual inputs in ableton while also using Cuemix for leveling and fx and such. So for example: I plug in my synth and drumcomputer, add some reverb on the synth and compression on the drumcomputer in cuemix. Then have 2 channels in Ableton with the corresponding instruments as input.

Now I have been able to (sort of) accomplish this. The only problem being: When i mute a channel in ableton, I still hear the instrument on my monitors. Or I cant have individual fx. So it's either compression and reverb on both, or nothing at all.

So in short: How do i set up cuemix (and ableton) in such a fashion, that I can use the mixer and fx in cuemix, but only have the output on individual channels in Ableton. Which in return sends it's master to the main out.

I really hope that I made myself sort of 'clear', and that you guys understand my issue. Im really confused about the signal flow, which channel represents what, which output goes where etc.

Thanks in advance!