Problems with Headphone Out

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
nachtaktiv
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Problems with Headphone Out

Post by nachtaktiv »

Hi guys

I know, a similar question was already asked, but the solution there was not the solution for my problem.

Problem: I can't make an induvidual Headphone Cue out of the front of my 828mk3. Either nothing comes out of the headphones or nothing comes out of the speakers. At the moment, both is working, but I am controlling the volume of the phones (as well as the volume of the speakers) with the Master Volume knob. I'd like to control my speakers with the left Master Volume knob and the headphones with the Phones Volume knob.

With Cubase Pro it would be no problem, there you have a "Studio"-Tab where you can define a direct "headphone-cue". In Cubase Artist you can only define the physical outputs (Main 1-2 in my case), i could define a second output, but i only can send signal to one output at a moment, expect i use sends.

In MOTU Audio Setup I have following settings:
Default Stereo Output: Main Out 1-2
Phones Assign: Main Out 1-2
Main Out Assign: Main Out 1-2

But now the Headphone Cue seems "Post-Fader". So the volume of the headphones in- and decreases with the main volume.

Isn't it possible to have an independent headphone cue without making a headphone mix via sends in the DAW or cuemix?
Manual and Youtube couldn't help me :(

Thank you for your feedback!
Motu 828mk3 Fireface, MacBook Pro 15", 2.6 GHz Quadcore i7, OSX 10.9, Cubase Artist 8, KRK VXT6, various syths and controllers
bayswater

Re: Problems with Headphone Out

Post by bayswater »

Assign the Phone to "Phones". It should appear as an independent set of outputs in Cubase and you can send a mix to it that is different from the mix to the Main outs or Out 1-2.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
nachtaktiv

Post by nachtaktiv »

Thanks for your reply.

OK, I changed Phones Assign to Phones 1-2.

And yes, i can create a second output in Cubase Artist (like I could before), but this is an either/or way, i can send a single (or all) tracks to this created Phones output, then I hear it through the phones but not through the speakers, but this is not a parallel way like there is in Cubase Pro and with my old NI-Interface.

In Cubase Pro you have a dedicated "Phones"-Channel (on the "Studio"-Tab), it's not the same like I create one with the same name.
Motu 828mk3 Fireface, MacBook Pro 15", 2.6 GHz Quadcore i7, OSX 10.9, Cubase Artist 8, KRK VXT6, various syths and controllers
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

nachtaktiv wrote:Thanks for your reply.

OK, I changed Phones Assign to Phones 1-2.

And yes, i can create a second output in Cubase Artist (like I could before), but this is an either/or way, i can send a single (or all) tracks to this created Phones output, then I hear it through the phones but not through the speakers, but this is not a parallel way like there is in Cubase Pro and with my old NI-Interface.

In Cubase Pro you have a dedicated "Phones"-Channel (on the "Studio"-Tab), it's not the same like I create one with the same name.
To get a separate Phones mix, put a send on each channel routed to a stereo bus. Route that bus to the Phone out on the 828. Use the send levels and send pans to get the Phone mix.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
nachtaktiv

Post by nachtaktiv »

No, that's exactly what I don't wanted to do. Thats like making a Headphone Mix for a musician, thats troublesome everytime for every track and every channel.
I think, with an interface and mix software of this professionality it should be possible to do that. I mean, it was possible with my cheap NI Kontrol 1 Interface without doing any settings.
nachtaktiv

Post by nachtaktiv »

I wrote to Steinberg and described my problem. I think it's all about the missing "Studio"-tab and Control Room in Cubase Artist. But it's a pity that it worked with a cheap interface and with my 828mk3 not anymore.