1248 and Direct Hardware Playthrough

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Movies
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 1248 and Direct Hardware Playthrough

Post by Movies »

I look forward to it!
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel i7/16GB, OSX 10.14.6, DP 10.1, MOTU 896mk3
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

So do I.

Can't wait to see what I write. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
wonder

Post by wonder »

Any update on this?

I'm in the exact same boat (debating on upgrading to AVB).

I use CUEMIX extensively for its ZERO LATENCY headphone cues and worry the new AVB systems (while having to run Safari with DP running a session) is too much hassle?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

If you already use cuemix, then it won't be more hassle I don't think. It's only more hassle if you use DHP and and analog mixer for monitoring.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
wonder

Post by wonder »

Good point. Thanks.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
sebner
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sebner »

Hi all,

I have been reading this and every thread I can find and I have not been able to find any satisfactory answers to my particular situation. I am using the 1248 and DP9 for tracking whole band setups in my studio and the routing matrix has allowed me to have 6 stereo headphone mixes and 20 inputs for recording. I am sending the Main LR mix to studio monitors for playback. Great. I am using the 2 internal headphone amps for 2 of the 6 mixes, and using the analog outs to send the other 4 headphone mixes to a headphone amp (8 total). That works fine.

My plan was to use the Mon LR out when transitioning to overdubbing parts into the headphone amps for playback (most headphone amps you can send in a stereo feed in addition to the individual aux feeds. I used to do it that way and it worked great). Having used previous MOTU hardware and DP, I was going to use the internal low latency mixer to monitor the overdubbed track and hear playback at the same time. I understand they did away with direct hardware play through, which solved this problem in the past for me. In addition, sometimes guitar players want to monitor through the playback speakers in the control room instead of headphones, and that is why I mirrored both of those outputs, one to headphones, one to studio monitors.

The problem is that I cannot find a routing configuration that will allow me to send the playback from the computer to the phones or studio monitors, in addition to record enable tracks, without the delay coming back from the computer out. The channels being recorded have to be muted in DP. In terms of workflow this is awful. I am constantly muting and unmuting the track after a pass to hear it and cannot monitor the recorded track when punching in without the delay or manually muting the track after punch in.

I have to send the tracks from the computer out to monitor and I can't find a way to not send that track without using manual mute. My only choices are to send From Computer 1 and 2 to the inputs of the low latency mixer if I disable the Mon LR I was using for the headphone amp, or Main LR for the monitors.

This has made the current project I am working on a real problem both from a workflow perspective and because I don't have the flexibility I used to in a session to quickly overdub parts or punch in to otherwise good performances.

Any set up like this? Am I missing something. The routing matrix is not very intuitive.

Scott
wonder

Post by wonder »

Scott,

I don't have an answer for you but that sounds like a headache.

Have you emailed MagicDave at MOTU for an answer?

What was your old way of tracking and overdubbing?

I'm in the same boat and am looking for the same answers as you.
Paul J Forrest

Post by Paul J Forrest »

monkey man wrote:So do I.

Can't wait to see what I write. :lol:
Hi Monkey Man,

It's been many years since I've visited this forum and I'm glad I did, because yet again, you made me laugh so much. You still remind me of Groucho!

Cheers,

Paul.
mdee

Post by mdee »

I've been wanting to replace my 828mk3 with a Thunderbolt Interface. At the same time I need to expand my inputs for Recording Drums and I was thinking about buying both a 1248 and a 8M.

But after reading this thread I'm not so sure. Now I'm thinking I should keep the 828mk3 and just buy a 8Pre USB or maybe buy a 828x so I have Thunderbolt and either the 8Pre USB or an 8M for the Drum Room.

Thoughts?

I'm Conflicted...
27 inch iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 40GB Ram - macOS Sonoma 14.3.1
Logic Pro X 10.8.1 - Performer Lite 11.23 - LUNA 1.5.3
Apollo X6 - UAD 11.1.0 - UAD OX 1.2
wonder

Post by wonder »

when i talked to DP dudes at NAMM, their advice was to stick with PCIe (2408mk3) until I run it into the ground.

FWIW, if you're system is working and don't need to change interfaces, save your money.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

The AVB interfaces sound so obviously better than the PCIe like 2408iii and 24io that if you hear them you will want an upgrade. Consider Pandora's box before listening.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
difab4

Post by difab4 »

Yes the issue is the obvious sonic improvement in the avbs vs the pita of monitoring through the mix matrix. I would just get an 828x but am intrigued with the idea of converter quality to compete the big boys for $1500. Since I'm on tour I have the luxury of time to see how it plays out but I know won't get an AVB unless they implement DHP in DP 10. In GS M Miller from MOTU said its 'on the list'. I wish they'd just announce it, I'd buy a 16A right now. If anyone hears anything, please post!
Thanks
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I've built out the two AVB mixers I have in a 16A / Monitor 8 combo such as to have 3 different headphone mixes for clients.

16A is live input monitoring.
Monitor 8 is DP track monitoring, which cascades into the 16A. I set playback levels in DP, don't touch anything but pans and mix level variations in the Monitor 8.

Alt mixes 1 and 2 are aux sends, the DP track monitoring aux's cascade into the 16A aux's.

To do 24 input tracking with 24 input playback, that maxes out both mixers when working at 88K2 or 96K.

2 of the headphone outs on the Monitor 8 feed 2 different standalone headphone amps. Main feeds analog console with a talkback switch, then a different standalone headphone amp.

I still haven't sorted out how to get talkback into all 3 channels with proper source dimming, needs another talkback controller with at ability to interrupt 3 different mixes with the same source.

Freakin' stupid complicated. DHP would mean 3 headphone mixes would be as simple as analog console aux sends to 3 headphone amps. AVB means multiple AVB mixer windows and no universal talkback path.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
janzoulou
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by janzoulou »

Got exactly the same problems although not mixing/tracking live. I was shocked when I found out that the AVB mixer isn't showing 48 inputs at higher SR than 48kHz. This still isn't written in the manual nor in the specifications on the website. You only find it in the FAQ page. I was told this is due to DSP power limitations. So why not to be able to switch of reverb/EQ for the gain of more inputs in the AVB mixer... stupid. Wouldn't the sound of the converters be that good in comparison to the 2408 MK III's I would have sent them back! Now I hope they are going to fix that in an coming firmware update ...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Mac Pro, quad core, 3.7, 32Gig Ram OSX 10.10.5 AVB, 112D & 24o, 3X RME Adi 8 QRS, UAD 2, Analog gear...
http://www.fonojet.com