896HD firewire card fried?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Jakemurray
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

896HD firewire card fried?

Post by Jakemurray »

Hello everyone, I've encountered a weird one but just want to confirm my suspicions before flushing out lots of money for repairs.

I closed a 48kHz Logic 9 session and opened an album of mp3s in VLC player, nothing fancy. However it appears as the 896HD was changing sample-rate something just gave up. The 8 channel meters randomly spiked and froze and from then on nothing worked. I restarted both my Mac Pro and MOTU 896HD card, but on restart the ADAC froze on the boot-up Vegas Mode-style meters display and my operating system no longer recognised the interface.

I tried a voltage reboot to the same result, then found that by booting without a firewire connected I could (after a longee-than-usual boot period) at least boot into 'normal mode' and meter signals coming in, but nothing would reach the Outputs of the unit (headphone, main outs etc).

I've reported my problem to MOTU's UK distro, who quoted me £160 incl courier shipping and so I was just wondering if anyone had encountered the same? And if the price is worthwhile for a fix, considering that the MOTU was sold to me having already been repaired once before, for the more-common upside down firewire fry....

Any experiences or advice welcome, thank you!