How to use a MOTU interface as a standalone mixer?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to use a MOTU interface as a standalone mixer?

Post by David Polich »

File this under dumb questions..(sorry). I'd like
to use a MOTU interface (like an 828 MK3)
as a standalone rack mounted sub-mixer for
my live keyboard rig. I will be feeding four
keyboards into it, for a total of 8 inputs. I need to set it up so
I have two aux sends, one pre and one post,
the post send will feed my onstage keyboard
monitor, the stereo main outs will feed the house.

The MOTU interface will be hooked to my
laptop running DP. Can I set up all the "patching"
from the interface's front panel, or do I need
to do that in Cue Mix?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Re: How to use a MOTU interface as a standalone mixer?

Post by bayswater »

You can control everything on a 828-3 using the combinations of button presses and knob twidddles on the front panel. But with the limited number of controls and the large number of adjustable parameters, it's just impractical to do more than a few basic level adjustments. Once you get the hang of Cuemix, it's pretty easy to do.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

What Bays says.

The good: You can control nearly everything from a few multi-function knobs.

The bad: You control everything form a few multi-function knobs.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

I think the only reason to attempt to use the interface without Cue Mix is if you don't have a computer hooked up to it. Since you will have a laptop hooked up anyway, just use Cue Mix. It's way easier to control and you can have DP and Cue Mix open at the same time. Plus, you can save your settings as you modify them. The tiny knobs are too much trouble, especially in a live performance setup.
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be
going the CueMix route.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com