Can I use an 828 mk2 WITH an 828 mk3?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
BonDarker
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can I use an 828 mk2 WITH an 828 mk3?

Post by BonDarker »

My question also involves CueMix and how it will deal with (2) 828s.

I am now using an 828 mk3 FW with a MacBook Pro in combo with DP8.
I want to start using the setup for live shows, combining live performance with some prerecorded elements, i.e. "backing tracks."
I would like to split some of the prerecorded DP tracks into isolated outputs so as to run Drums, Bass or whatever through their own amp/speaker systems, as well as monitoring tracks by performing musicians.
This as opposed to running everything into one stereo mix.
:?: 1. Any suggestions on the best way to route this and HOW to set up Aux tracks, etc. in DP for individual output assignments?

I also want to use the 828 mk3 as a live mixer in conjunction with CueMixFX to mix the incoming "live" instruments (outboard MIDI gear and such...)
My problem seems to be: I need more outputs as I will want to isolate some of the live instrument feeds into their own monitoring & signal path as well.

:?: 2. So, can I add a second 828? (MK 2 because they are inexpensive - used)
Connect the two 828s with light pipe and end up 8 with more ins/outputs???
:?: 3. Would CueMix even recognize the second 828 unit?

:?: 4. I understand that CueMix effects will not be available with a MK 2 (or would they?) as the MK 2 would come after the 828 mk3?

At any rate, the CueMix effects would not be needed for DP output tracks. The important thing for me is to come up with another 4 stereo outputs to accommodate the DP tracks AND live instruments.

Any advise is very much appreciated.
mikehalloran

Re: Can I use an 828 mk2 WITH an 828 mk3?

Post by mikehalloran »

There's more than one way to hook up multiple 828s including FW and ADAT. Best to search the threads and find the setup that makes the most sense.

There are used 828mkII out there but the newest ones are 8 years old and there's no longer a refurb exchange program for them.

True, my unit is going strong but it has never been the sole I/O device for my Macs. I expect more years out of mine -- I got one of the last to leave the factory -- but I'd be skeptical of a used one on eBay.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BonDarker

Re: Can I use an 828 mk2 WITH an 828 mk3?

Post by BonDarker »

Mike, I appreciate your prompt feedback. I have searched threads for related topics on connecting two 828 (mk 1, 2 or 3). Perhaps I have not worded the question/search precisely enough to pull up such info, which is why I started this thread. If you know of such a discussion already logged in, can you direct me to that thread?
I just want to be sure CueMix FX will recognize another 828 and that I will end up with more outs when the connections have been made. Perhaps I'll need to contact MOTU for the final word...

I hear what you're saying regarding the longevity of an older unit, however, I just want to get the system running. If it works as intended I'll buy-up when and if the old unit goes down. I've still got a 2408 mk3 and 1224 that work fine but obsolete in terms of newer connections. MOTU gear is quite hardy from my experience. Cover gear at all times when not in use.
Stop the dust is a must :!:

I was over the hill near your neck of the woods yesterday (San Jose) for a few hours. Nice relief from the Gold Country's higher temps.
Anyway, thanks again. If you have any other thoughts on this, please do share.
BD