828 Original - High Pitched Whine - Yosemite.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
BillBrooks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828 Original - High Pitched Whine - Yosemite.

Post by BillBrooks »

Hi there!

New to the forum but thought I'd share something.

I've been running my 828 Original mk1 without many issues for about 12 years. It's been off to MOTU once with a Firewire issue, other than that been solid as anything and I love it.

Today it crashed with a high pitched whine. I immediately thought "hardware failure" as it is a very hot day in sunny Essex today :)

I took the unit out of the rack and flicked the power selector switch a few times, booted fine for 10 mins then the same thing happened.

Reading about how this is often a firewire issue, I tried a different cable & port on my Mac Pro, but same thing happened again.

I noticed someone online talking about the optical selector switch in the config app not always reading the correct setting, so I flicked that and the unit started passing audio again.

I have had issues with my driver (been using 1.6.58something for a while because it's been reliable even with Yosemite) but the optical settings often got lost under this OS. So I've updated to the latest drivers and been running the unit for an hour or 2 with no problems.

Is this something others have experienced?! Just thought I'd share my findings cos not much recent online about this unit. I guess I'm pretty old skool still running a Mk1 haha :D
BillBrooks

Re: 828 Original - High Pitched Whine - Yosemite.

Post by BillBrooks »

Today I got up and started the unit and it crashed within 20 mins of use. I had a thought that it might actually be the firewire 400 bus on my mac pro, so I tried the 800 with a 800/400 converter cable I have used successfully before.

The unit worked for an hour or so then crashed again. I think the firewire bus on the 828 must be the issue.

Anyone got any more bright ideas? Do you think MOTU will fix it for me?

Or is it time to get a mk3? Any other suggestions of great firewire interfaces? What else should I be looking at to future-proof my setup? Thunderbolt?
mikehalloran

Re: 828 Original - High Pitched Whine - Yosemite.

Post by mikehalloran »

Bill, the reason that many of us post our setups in our signatures is so that others might have a clue when answering such questions.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro