Motu 896 problems

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
fritzman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Motu 896 problems

Post by fritzman »

Hello,

I'm new in this forum, because I never had problems with my 896 (original), but know I have a lot.

First of all: normally when you switch on the 896 you can see the input levels of the microphones. But now: nothing. You still have the discolights when you switch it on, so the lights are ok, but there is no input. No matter which cable or mic I try. you see and hear nothing. And the best thing is: I have a second 896 and it worked one day longer and now it is also dead. Any Idea how I can resurrect it?

One day before that really crazy stuff happend: The 896 said the firewire cable was broken. ok, I took a new one. One hour later: same story again, and a third time. Then I had no more cables. I blame my old laptop for that, and I wanted to try it with a mac mini, but that both broke down like I discribed before.

I moved to a new room, maybe that is the problem? could maybe problems with the electric installation cause those problems? Was it to warm? I'm a little desperate now. I planned to record this weekend.

Thank you!
(sorry for my rusty english)
fritzman

Re: Motu 896 problems

Post by fritzman »

Has anyone the last firmware 1.02 for the 896 original? And how can I overwrite it? maybe this is a chance...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Have you verified your FW ports? My 828mkII used to crash my ports – I traced the issue to FW hubs and no longer use them. Since hooking my unit up directly, I no longer have this issue.

Never, ever hot swap a FW device. Too many fried motherboards from the spark.

TechTool Pro will show whether the ports are working or not. Resetting the NV RAM (PRAM) will normally bring them back to life.

How old is the BR2032 battery? This can cause all sorts of problems as it ages including dead FW ports. A Mac Pro tower can use a CR2032 battery with no problem. Certain high temp macs (2011 iMac and newer for example, nMP and a few others) really need the BR2032 ($7 for three on Amazon). There's a trick to removing the old battery – if you can't see it, find a YouTube video as you can break the holder if you don't know it or can't see it. There are other videos on replacing broken battery holders...

Otherwise, trying a Voltage Reset to bring back the factory default settings on the 896 is my only other recommendation.

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... 20settings

Voltage Reset: To perform a voltage reset, power the unit down and disconnect all cables. On the right side (the depth) of your unit, there is a red voltage selector. Toggle this switch back and forth several times, and be sure to reset it to the correct voltage (115V for domestic power supplies). Power the unit back on and test.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
fritzman

Post by fritzman »

Thank you so much for your answer!

1) The 896 where directly connected to the MacBook I use. But one time they lost connection because the macbook went to sleep. Maybe this a part of the problem.

2) I will have closer a look at TechTool Pro!

3) I made a reset and - thank god - now they work again. Both 896. I tried it before but moved the switch only one time. It needed a rough treatment I guess. :-) Thank you! :dance:

I ordered a firewire 400 to firewire 800 adapter for the mac mini. On monday I will see if the macbook is the biggest problem. I hope the MacMini will not kill my cables.

:headbang: