MOTU896 HYBRID MK3 crashed now the lcd light is on but blank

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
sufferahsmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU896 HYBRID MK3 crashed now the lcd light is on but blank

Post by sufferahsmusic »

Hi guys i'm new here my name is Amani nice to be here...i was working on some roots reggae .. when my 896 mk3 just froze i heard a bass grumble... the lights on the unit went blank the lcd went blank but the lights stayed on.. logic couldnt find the interface. It never happened before... so i restarted the unit ..an same result.. i cant reset the unit since only the green hue of the light comes on and no words....neither are the mic line thats active ... i'm actually freaking out
i'm using a macbook late 2007
logic 9.1.8
a USB MIDI INTERFACE CAKEWALK UM-3G
INCIDENTALLY I'M USING THE USB TO CONNECT THE AUDIO INTERFACE

is there anything i can do i treat this device very well i bought this when it came our for $1200
from sweetwater.com i never had any problems with it before that i couldnt handle but this time i need help
f you would be so kind please
Playa

Re: MOTU896 HYBRID MK3 crashed now the lcd light is on but b

Post by Playa »

I would call MOTU Tech Support. They should be able to replace the unit for you. I had similar symptoms with my unit, and they swapped it our for a refurbished one for $100. Definitely worth it.
mikehalloran

Re: MOTU896 HYBRID MK3 crashed now the lcd light is on but b

Post by mikehalloran »

It depends how old it is. Look up the date of your invoice to see if it is still under warranty (Sweetwater is good at looking up your purchase history if need be).

It needs to be repaired under warranty or replaced. The $100 exchange is a pretty good deal once you factor shop time and parts. Best to call MOTU to set it up either way.

Since MOTU neither publishes schematics nor makes proprietary parts available, other options don't really exist.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro