Cuemix & Ableton. Tips on optimum setup to run both together

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Martinukai
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cuemix & Ableton. Tips on optimum setup to run both together

Post by Martinukai »

Hi folks.

I just bought a MOTU 828mk3 interface purely for it's in/out expandability and alleged reliability when running on mac.

I will use it (with the help of a behringer ADA8000) to record 16 tracks directly into
Ableton Live.

My aim is to record 3x hardware groove-boxes (each with multiples outs) and 2x mono synths.
Possibly also hook up a Kaoss Pad 3 via a send/return from the interface.

To be honest I knew very little about the built in "CUEMIX" software before buying and I didn't plan to use it much knowing that I can work all the ins and outs using just the DAW.Keep it simple, so to speak... but now that I am working with cuemix I see it's capable of more than I expected.

I've already used it to make various mix buses to be sent back in to my sampler to resample other hardware. This is something I never intended to do and it's great.

I am wondering if anyone working with a similar setup to me (i.e.. recording hardware and not tracking instruments/vocals) has any tips on how to make the most of cuemix with Ableton? I'm still finding it a little confusing running both at once to be honest, I'll get my head around it though.

I've only been tinkering with the 828 for two days now so if any of my above description seems daft then forgive me.

*I have read the manual twice;)

Cheers:)

Martin
Saintmatthew

Re: Cuemix & Ableton. Tips on optimum setup to run both toge

Post by Saintmatthew »

Well, my first bit of advice is to use the MOTU Audio Setup to name the channels. I name them by where they are going to or coming from. It helps a lot in Cuemix. That said, those labels won't do much in Ableton. It numbers the inputs and not always intuitively. It Usually puts "Main Out" as 1-2, Headphones as "3-4" and then Individual outs 1-whatever as 3-whatever. It would be nice if Ableton let you name inputs but after a while you get used to it and should be able remember I guess.
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
Martinukai

Re: Cuemix & Ableton. Tips on optimum setup to run both toge

Post by Martinukai »

Saintmatthew wrote:Well, my first bit of advice is to use the MOTU Audio Setup to name the channels. I name them by where they are going to or coming from. It helps a lot in Cuemix. That said, those labels won't do much in Ableton. It numbers the inputs and not always intuitively. It Usually puts "Main Out" as 1-2, Headphones as "3-4" and then Individual outs 1-whatever as 3-whatever. It would be nice if Ableton let you name inputs but after a while you get used to it and should be able remember I guess.
Great, cheers for all the tips!:)