Connecting a Traveller Mk1 to USB C possible?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
alidrongo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Connecting a Traveller Mk1 to USB C possible?

Post by alidrongo »

Hi there, I'm thinking of getting a new 12 inch Macbook as my old Macbook Pro screen is broken and the cost of repair is going to be about the same price.

1. Does anyone expect there will be any sort of converters available to connect the new 12inch Macbook to the old FW400 port on the Traveller?

2. If not, is there anyway to connect my old mac to the Traveller and then connect the new Macbook to it? (so I can access the audio ins and outs from the new Macbook)

Thanks!
Ali
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Connecting a Traveller Mk1 to USB C possible?

Post by mikehalloran »

Is there a Thunderbolt adapter for that USB C port? If not and the Traveller is FireWire, you are out of luck.

Is the Traveller USB or FireWire?

If USB, then it might work straight. Some report that a USB hub may be necessary.

It FireWire, the Apple Thunderbolt to FW adapter is necessary. Use a FW800 to FW400 adapter or cable (preferred). You will need to use external power as Thunderbolt only supplies 7W bus power.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
alidrongo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by alidrongo »

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. The Traveler doesn't have USB. I don't believe there is a C to Thunderbolt converter available (nor will there be) so it looks like I'm stuck.
Thanks anyway
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Weird. Right after I wrote that, I found this link and realized that it answered all your questions. I edited and posted then forgot about it.

Anyway, FW and TB are incompatible with USB C as you already know. For those wondering:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2894423 ... to-it.html

I hope that speculation is wrong and that TB remains on the iMac. In case I ever upgrade mine that is and don't go with a nMP.

Writing this from a hotel in Vermont where the Internet access is spotty. Let's see what happens.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

alidrongo wrote:Hi there, I'm thinking of getting a new 12 inch Macbook as my old Macbook Pro screen is broken and the cost of repair is going to be about the same price.

1. Does anyone expect there will be any sort of converters available to connect the new 12inch Macbook to the old FW400 port on the Traveller?

2. If not, is there anyway to connect my old mac to the Traveller and then connect the new Macbook to it? (so I can access the audio ins and outs from the new Macbook)

Thanks!
Ali
Do you need the portability of a laptop? If not, have you considered getting an external monitor to use with your MBP?