828mk3 (Firewire) with Traktor Scratch A6?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
in2muzikk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828mk3 (Firewire) with Traktor Scratch A6?

Post by in2muzikk »

I have a legacy DJ setup as follows: MacBook Pro (2012), DJM600 Mixer, CDJ800 (2), and MOTU 828mk3 audio interface. I recently added a Native Instruments X1 mk2 controller for digital DJ use, and my configuration is as follows:

Motu 828mk3:

Analog Outputs:

1/2: To receiver and speakers
3/4: To mixer channel 3
4/5: To mixer channel 4

Analog Inputs:

1/2: From mixer REC OUT to MOTU 828mk3

This setup has been working fine, but I didn't want to carry around the 828mk3 when using the laptop and X1 controller away from home (aside from being rather expensive and heavy, it would require repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting cables from the CDJ's, mixer and audio interface).

I bought a Traktor Scratch A6 interface as a portable solution for "playing out." It also converts my CDJ's to a "Digital Vinyl System" by using supplied timecode CD's in the CD players. Unfortunately, the timecode system is proprietary to Native Instruments and I couldn't get it to work with my 828mk3 (Traktor's "virtual decks" show "Scratch Disabled," and the user manual states that this message appears when no "Scratch certified" interface has been selected).

So I ran cables from the CDJ's to the back inputs of the A6 interface, and another set of cables from the A6 interface to the DJM600 mixer channels 1 and 2. The CDJ's then performed properly as "controllers" for the Traktor software using the timecode CD's.

I recorded a mix session using Traktor, but when I played it back, the audio was from the timecode CD's: A bunch of tones and bleeps! So it appears that I must add another cable out from the DJM600 mixer (possibly Booth Monitor output) to the A6 interface's remaining input for recording.

Although this setup should work, it renders my 828mk3 pretty much useless unless I want to use it without the DVS timecode deck setup. I had hoped to keep my 828mk3 cabling between the mixer and CDJ's intact and just use the A6 interface for mobile setups. With my current setup, I'll need to detach the cables from the A6 interface, CDJ's and mixer everytime using it out, and then reconnect them all back for use at home.

So I'm wondering if there's any way to use the A6 interface as a "pass through" device that would allow me to select the 828mk3 interface in the Traktor software, yet use the A6 for timecode and sending related audio output to the DJM600 mixer? Or, could the two interfaces be connected together using a USB cable to create a "8 in/8 out + 3 in/3 out" interface?

The icing on the cake here is that I had read on another user forum that someone used an 828mk3 Ultralite with Traktor Scratch Pro 2 software timecode and it worked fine even without the A6 interface, no modifications necessary. I don't see how that is possible, unless the Traktor Scratch software was "open" several years back but has since been "locked" only to Traktor certified interfaces. I have also emailed Native Instruments about the setup, but have a feeling the issue may be considered "out of scope" for them to advise solutions. I've also asked for a user manual for the A6 interface, as I can't find anything except a one-page online setup guide. Any suggestions welcome!