Mac does not load audio driver

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
LightSideOfLife
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac does not load audio driver

Post by LightSideOfLife »

Hey guys,

I have a serious problem with my PCIe424 card. A lot of times the Mac does not load up the pci audio drivers when booting. I try everything when this happens and sometimes it works (I always dont know why). But today is does not work a bit. The system profiler shows again that there are no drivers installed for the pci104c,9065. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them and it still does not work at all. This problem came up quite often. I am running a Mac Pro 1.1 on OSX Lion. The Mac got a Firmware Upgrade to 2.1 because he is running two Quad Cores. I dont think the card is broken because he always tells me the same card id. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. For example yesterday it worked but the day before it didnt. I got it running by reinstalling the drivers. Do you have any idea why this is not working?

Greetz
Marvin
mikehalloran

Re: Mac does not load audio driver

Post by mikehalloran »

Are you also running Digital Performer? If so, what version?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
LightSideOfLife

No I am not. I'm using logic
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

What happens when you open MOTU PCI Audio Setup.app ? You can have it so that it opens when you boot.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
LightSideOfLife

I do not have it booting up with OSX. But the time it does not work the app tells me something like "No MOTU PCI Card found".
Yesterday I got it fixed by reinstalling the drivers and then telling OSX to open the current programs when booting up again.
I then rebooted OSX around 5 times and the card always worked when I checked this "open up current programs when booting" box.
Is it OSX failing to load up the driver correctly when booting? When I'm running OSX Lion on a Mac Pro 1.1 the booting screen disappears. Maybe this is the problem? Should I go back to Snow Leopard?

BTW, thanks for the fast replies!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You need to have Console open when this happens. Either something is failing to load as it should or something else is trying to load that shouldn't, usually something old that you should have trashed years ago.

HP 2005 print drivers were a culprit once; Finale 2009 Help files another time. When I saw those trying to load in Console, finding and trashing the offending files fixed the problem.

Do you have old junk such as PPC freeware and shareware that no longer works? These are often the problems. They are so old that the code telling them not to load doesn't exist since it wasn't part of the Apple Toolkit then – or the Toolkit was ignored. The Bresink Temp Monitor and CD Spin Dr / Spin Doctor X are known problem files and have kexts that should be purged.

In OS 6-9 days, we had Conflict Catcher and manipulated the load order of Extensions to solve problems like this.

Anyway, Console is your friend. If you can't figure it out, the 20 or so lines that appear when the drivers fail to load may help MOTU Support when attached to a Tech Link (only copy the lines that apply to the exact time the drivers fail to load).
LightSideOfLife

What do you mean when you say "console open"? I am not that much into OSX because I just switched lately. :D I changed my system due to stability and now I got this :( :D
LightSideOfLife

Alright,
after weeks of trying I finally got to test the card on a Windows System. The same problem. It has to be a broken card, isn't it? Is there any way to repair it by motu? I bought the card 3 months ago via ebay.