Using multiple MOTU MIDI interfaces with Clockwork

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
ericjustin
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Using multiple MOTU MIDI interfaces with Clockwork

Post by ericjustin »

When using multiple MIDI interfaces (Express XT & Timepiece AV in my case) is it possible to route MIDI between the two interfaces? For example; can you take the output of the first interface and route it into the input of the second? MOTU doesn't go into detail about this in the manual and I would like to know before hooking it up.
Thanks!
Eric :mrgreen:
Powermac G4
Single 1.25 gig processor
768 RAM
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Using multiple MOTU MIDI interfaces with Clockwork

Post by monkey man »

Well, regardless of the inputs used, DP or any other DAW routes the data you're generating to a synth / device when you record-enable a MIDI track; the specific output (and therefore synth or whatever) is assigned to the track in question by you. A MIDI track is useless, after all, if it's not spittin' the data out to something. Every available input and output is, well, available.

DP doesn't care where said MIDI data comes from, or how many devices are generating it; all "live" data will be routed as explained. You could have multiple controllers plugged into your interfaces on different channels, along with, say, a keyboard, and DP would route all data generated in real-time to the destination you specify.

Therefore, it doesn't matter how many interfaces or channels you have; all routing can be taken care of by DP this way. For specific, "hard-wired" routings, which I don't recommend 'cause they could conceivably interfere with the "free-form" palette that DP provides, the ClockWorks™ app is there; it can also be used for activating various data filters for all I/O. My advice is to leave everything "on", and only explore the filters if you experience "inexplicable" loops; they're handy for blocking specific data types where a "culprit" synth or whatever allows stuff to pass through when it's not desired, hence the apparent "lockup" you might experience in this scenario. My tip: If it happens to you, disengage the record button to break the loop. I say this 'cause one might be tempted to switch an interface off when it's not necessary.

I've no idea what you know, so hopefully I'm not preaching to the choir and you were able to learn something, Eric. Cheers mate.
Nicky

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
ericjustin
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ericjustin »

Thanks for the reply but I don't think this works like I would like it to. First, to clarify, I am not using a DAW. I just need the MOTUs to work as a MIDI patchbay. When I hooked up the second Interface, my mac saw ir as a separate group of 8 ins and outs. I want to patch between the two. Is that possible?
Powermac G4
Single 1.25 gig processor
768 RAM
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

Well, the DAW acts as the inter-interface router in the manner I described.

I've no idea how you'd achieve this otherwise, except perhaps by using a cheap or free MIDI utility, of which there are plenty.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here