Cuemix FX DSP power Live Mix Format

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
TrebleHook
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cuemix FX DSP power Live Mix Format

Post by TrebleHook »

Hi, I have searched the topic extensively and haven't obtained enough information to make a decision if a MOTU interface is the way to go with its current limitations on DSP power. Here are some questions I sent to MOTU to try and get some real world answers and thought I would post here too and see what others experiences and advice is.

I am gearing up to run a powered live speaker system through either a dedicated hardware digital mixer or tap into the live mix capabilities of Cuemix fx with a motu interface and have a few questions I have not been able to find the answers to...

1) Is the dsp fx processing power the same in the mk3 interfaces as the newer AVB interfaces?

2). If you have more than one of either type interfaces and run out of DSP processing power will the Cuemix Mixer use the other units DSP power for effects?

3). Would it be right to say the limited processing power of the onboard mix dsp was really intended for monitor mixing instead of running a live mix for a show?

4). I have read in some forums it is easy to run out of dsp power after adding channel eq and compression on only 16 input channels and utilizing the reverb and master limiter etc. on the main and monitor outputs. I am just confirming as to the validity of the users experience?

5). If I were to use a external dedicated auxiliary reverb instead of the built in what could I expect in processing power from the interface adding 3 bands of EQ to all input channels. How many real world inputs could be mixed live?

6). Do you think the latency of adding an outboard reverb to the mix would be equivalent to the low latency monitoring via Cuemix Live?

So basically need some real world specs on what I can get out of the products when used exclusively for live sound application, and if there are plans by MOTU in the near future to manufacture an interface with more dsp processing power for mixing live with like dedicated virtual channel strips for every input? I personally like the idea of cuemix format, but with real world processing I'm not sure and hits the mark yet.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give me!
Treble Hook
Treble Hook
Florida Soul-Cast Studio
727-418-2916 idigflorida@gmail.com
iMac 2020 Monterey macOS 12.4; Tascam Model 12, DP11.1; Spectrasonics Trillian; Toontracks Superior Drummer 2; Adam Monroe AMRotaryOrgan
bayswater

Re: Cuemix FX DSP power Live Mix Format

Post by bayswater »

On my 828-3, I have had EQ and compression on all channels, and the manual specifically states the processor can do this. I seem to recall turning on reverb too at the same time put the DSP over the limit. Look at postings by Klaus from a year or two ago. I recall he was more exact about the limits.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
TrebleHook

Re: Cuemix FX DSP power Live Mix Format

Post by TrebleHook »

Thank you Bayswater
Treble Hook
Florida Soul-Cast Studio
727-418-2916 idigflorida@gmail.com
iMac 2020 Monterey macOS 12.4; Tascam Model 12, DP11.1; Spectrasonics Trillian; Toontracks Superior Drummer 2; Adam Monroe AMRotaryOrgan