Which OSX to update to?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
LOU F.
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Which OSX to update to?

Post by LOU F. »

Hello all. I'm new here. I need to update my operating system to run the more recent offerings from Project Sam. I am currently on OS 10.6.8 and need to go to at least 10.8. I am running D.P. 7.24, Kontakt 5, VEP Pro, the usual plug-ins, etc. My computer is a Mac Pro Xeon 64 bit with 16 gigs of ram , Regular drive and three velociraptors to store samples. I'm sure I have to upgrade to DP8, update all the plug-ins, etc. I would like all your opinions on which OX is the most stable. I start a new project in the next few days and would appreciate any experiences, good or bad that you have had. My system is very stable (which is why I haven't updated in a long time) but now out of date.

Thanks for your time!

Lou
artfarm1

Re: Which OSX to update to?

Post by artfarm1 »

I went from 10.6.8 to Mountain Lion 10.8.5, and all has been well for a year and a half or so.

Very stable, able to to keep everything I want current and updated. (Kontakt 5 libraries, PLAY stuff, notation software, MIDI drivers, etc.)

I still haven't wanted to go past Mountain Lion, because everytime I think about it, I read about someone's problems. Plus, I'd rather be working at music than spending my precious time just fixing OSX update problems.

Anyways, just one opinion!
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
LOU F.

Post by LOU F. »

Opinion very much appreciated. Thanks!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I'm perfectly happy with Yosemite and all the usual suspects here on an iMac i7 w/ 16 gigs.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Mountain Lion fan here, too.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

parked in Mountain Lion 10.8.5 here :wink:
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

I have both OSX 10.8.5 and 10.9.5 on this machine and have been using OSX 10.9.5 for months now with no problems. I keep Mountain Lion because I have a couple of programs that won't play nice on Mavericks. Tried Yosemite and it was too unstable for production work.
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

If you are gonna go through the process of upgrading the system significantly, why not go to the latest? (Yosemite/10.10)
As long as your hardware supports it and you don't have any software that is for some reason incompatible with it.
If you upgrade to the latest, then you can wait longer until you do it again, and be sure that any new software you might want to get will work (there is already some software that demand 10.10).

For what it's worth, Yosemite is really working great for me.
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I have one important app that won't run in Yosemite, so I'm in Mavericks.

But Mavericks was problematic with one of my firewire audio interfaces. At some point, I'll use an external Mavericks boot volume to run that other app.

If I had deeper pockets and could always afford new software or updates, I'd jump to Yosemite, but that ain't the kind o' career I've ended up with.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

My current plan is to stay on ML until El Capitan is released and Apple is at v.2 or so, then set up a new partition and play around when I have time, until it's confirmed as stable enough for production use.
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

I've never had any trouble with Yosemite 10.10.3 and DP 8. I don't run a lot of other non-MOTU plugins or other third-party software, but it's been perfectly stable for me.
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

RodneySauer wrote:I've never had any trouble with Yosemite 10.10.3 and DP 8. I don't run a lot of other non-MOTU plugins or other third-party software, but it's been perfectly stable for me.
I also have been running Yosemite and DP8. Very stable, and I do run a lot of third party software.
Nibiru

Post by Nibiru »

I'm on a 2012 Mac Mini i7 quad core w/16gb ram and Apple's 256 SSD running 10.9.5. and DP8.05. I have had zero problem minus having to download an app call Keep Drives Spinning to keep my external G-Drives (newest USB3 only version) from causing my Mini to shut down when the drives try to go to sleep. The Energy Saving preferences didn't fix this. No idea of its Mavericks or the new G-Drives I bought to go with the Mini, but everything works super solid so far and I've had the Mini since November.

I am wondering however, if anyone here has the same Mini and is running Yosemite without problems. I've read that Yosemite takes up at least twice the RAM which would really affect performance on my setup. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Nibiru wrote:I'm on a 2012 Mac Mini i7 quad core w/16gb ram and Apple's 256 SSD running 10.9.5. and DP8.05. I have had zero problem minus having to download an app call Keep Drives Spinning to keep my external G-Drives (newest USB3 only version) from causing my Mini to shut down when the drives try to go to sleep. The Energy Saving preferences didn't fix this. No idea of its Mavericks or the new G-Drives I bought to go with the Mini, but everything works super solid so far and I've had the Mini since November.

I am wondering however, if anyone here has the same Mini and is running Yosemite without problems. I've read that Yosemite takes up at least twice the RAM which would really affect performance on my setup. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I'm running a 2010 mac mini on Yosemite and it runs perfectly fine. It using wired memory than it was on Mavericks, but it does keep more app memory in use (which is totally fine).
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

As FutureLegends suggested, why not go the whole hog if you're going to take a substantial leap anyway?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here